Question Strange new hard drive issue

Nov 10, 2019
Hey all. Definitely not an expert here but I have reached a dead end on an issue. I have a portable toshiba drive(I know I should have stuck to WD...) that I bought: P/N: HDTC920XW3AA. On 3 of my devices(custom pc running win7, newer i7 laptop running win10, and a surface pro 6 win 10), the drive turns on with a blue light but not recognized at all by windows. I have tried with different working USB chords and even tried a split to give the drive double the power. My old case even has a 2.0 only port that I tried but didn't work (it clicked).

Here's the kicker...my i5 win 10 work computer that I'm not allowed to keep recognized the device (100% working) and the device has a white light.

After some Toshiba research, I found that blue typically means a USB3.0 port and white means 2.0. I've had both 3.0 and 2.0 work on my computer and I know my work computer has used both as well.

Any recommendations on things to try to get one of my computers to recognize the device before I take a sledge hammer to it?

Hey all. Definitely not an expert here but I have reached a dead end on an issue. I have a portable toshiba drive(I know I should have stuck to WD...) that I bought: P/N: HDTC920XW3AA. On 3 of my devices(custom pc running win7, newer i7 laptop running win10, and a surface pro 6 win 10), the drive turns on with a blue light but not recognized at all by windows. I have tried with different working USB chords and even tried a split to give the drive double the power. My old case even has a 2.0 only port that I tried but didn't work (it clicked).

Here's the kicker...my i5 win 10 work computer that I'm not allowed to keep recognized the device (100% working) and the device has a white light.

After some Toshiba research, I found that blue typically means a USB3.0 port and white means 2.0. I've had both 3.0 and 2.0 work on my computer and I know my work computer has used both as well.

Any recommendations on things to try to get one of my computers to recognize the device before I take a sledge hammer to it?
USB2 and 3 are compatible with USB3having faster speed and higher power. Do you see it in Device manager and Disk Management at all ?

aakarshan

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Try reformating the drive in the PC where it does get recognised if you can.

Does it spins on the PC when you connect?

Do you hear any sound while you connect on the PC?

Does windows recognize it at all?

If it spins, keep it connected till 30 mins windows will recognize it. Check another external hard drive if it recognise it at all.

Nov 10, 2019
Try reformating the drive in the PC where it does get recognised if you can.

Does it spins on the PC when you connect?

Do you hear any sound while you connect on the PC?

Does windows recognize it at all?

If it spins, keep it connected till 30 mins windows will recognize it. Check another external hard drive if it recognise it at all.

Definitely spins. The only differences is the light color and not being recognized. Computer doesn't make any sound or react to it (not recognized at all). My WD harddrives all work fine on the other computers. I will try letting this one sit connected longer. After about 5 minutes the blue light turns off and it sits (guessing it's in standby mode). I haven't had it connected more than about 10-15 minutes though so I will try that now.

Edit: Been plugged in for over an hour..but it went into standby and stopped spinning a while ago. Windows doesn't even know it's connected (except on one laptop).

Edit 2: When I restart windows with it plugged in it comes back from standby. It's like it understand it's connected and works properly but windows just won't recognize it..so weird.

Last edited: