[SOLVED] Strange noise coming from 8 terabyte drive whilst installing a large file

alikeobservant

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Hello!

Yesterday I installed an 8 terabyte hard drive on my computer. I have not installed anything on that drive yet, until now. Recently I linked my new disk up with steam and began to download a game. (20 Gigs.) During the download and validation process, a loud crackle and rumble began to emit from the disk (at least that's what it seemed like.) It was rumbling so hard, my desk would slightly shake every time it crackled. This once again was the first thing I installed on the drive. I've always heard this coming from my computer when downloading games, even with my other drives. If anybody knows what this noise is, please let me know. The noise isn't annoying, it's just that I'm worried about something going wrong. I haven't found any threads that have direct answers to this, so if anybody knows what this is, please lmn.

(Another thing to note, my headphones did not pick up any of it despite being able to record quieter things.)

Solution
A certain amount of noise from a HDD is normal. They will buzz and bump and so forth as the platters spin up and the head seeks. I utilize a Synology NAS with a couple of 4TB drives inside it, and as they spin up and seek under heavy use I can feel it slightly in the desktop and certainly hear it.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Presuming it's mounted right, and not vibrating against loose cable or someanything else in your case:

Get CrystalDiskMark and run a random read/write benchmark and see if you can hear similar noises. Get CrystalDiskInfo and check for any abnormal SMART readouts.

Hard disk drive rumbling was typical for older drives (15-year-old 80GB Deskstar etc.) I have experience with. For current desktop drives, I'm less sure.

EDIT: Which case do you have? And which 8TB drive? Failing all else, you could put some of those vibration damping pads between your case and the desk.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask "is all important data on that drive is backed up"?

If not, do so immediately but bear in mind that anything you do could cause drive damage and data loss.

Verify that the backups (two sets in different locations) are both recoverable and readable.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A certain amount of noise from a HDD is normal. They will buzz and bump and so forth as the platters spin up and the head seeks. I utilize a Synology NAS with a couple of 4TB drives inside it, and as they spin up and seek under heavy use I can feel it slightly in the desktop and certainly hear it.

Solution