Question Strange noise coming from mobo.

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Hello.

I have a TUF b450 plus gaming.
Yesterday I was cleaning it and powered the pc on with the case open and noticed a strange sound.

Pulled everything apart, ram, gpu, all the fans, psu and was left with the mobo.

Appears its coming from the cpu area, also if I unplug the 8pin cable, thr sound becomes intermitent, if I plug it, its continous.

Its so faint, that my phone barely registered the sound, I used a spectometer and the sound is around 10.000 hz.

Heard that it might be the VRAM but I ani sure at this point...even used a stetoscope, but it was useless.

Thr sound...sounds like this, its faint but constant https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aDZ500DcrP4eBJLxPsPFiHloKSth6ZHP/view?usp=drivesdk

I have no device that could record exactly how it sounds, but the above recording its closely enauh.

Plz help 😊

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Should I be concerned about this?
I am not sure when it started, but it might have been like this since I bought it.

My PSU, Be Quiet makes practically no sound, if you stop the fan.

Appears its coming from the cpu area, also if I unplug the 8pin cable, thr sound becomes intermitent,

What 8 pin cable? is it the one from the PSU to motherboard? from the PSU to the graphics card?

Is that "10.000 hz" or "10,000 hz", meaning 10 Khz? 10Khz is right in the range of coil whine, 10Hz would be hard to hear except at extraordinarily high power levels.

Can't tell much from the audio clip beyond a short double click, probably from moving with the phone while recording.

If coil whine it's very common. It can be annoying in some circumstances, but it's not harmful to your system.

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
I have removed all other components, including the PSU from the case.

The 8pin from the PSU to mobo if removed the sound is intermitent.

10.000 hz is the wavelenght of the sound or 10 khz is well withing the "human range".

Yes the clicking sound is me touching the case with the phone, but the coil whine is there, if you dont hear anything...you should be able. Its the static sound in the clip, thats the coil whine.

Tested my pc today and its fine.
I guess, as long as its not dangerous to my system, I can mentaly filter the sound out.

TRENDING THREADS