[SOLVED] Strange noise comming from my PSU

Dec 18, 2020
Hello!
Currently i have cx750m with a green label (im not sure, but i guess its a bronze certificate). This is a very old PSU, i have it for around 7 years already.

Around 2 weaks ago i've changed my GPU from 760 to Gigabyte 2070 gaming OC (GPU-Z show that it can reach 1950 clock, i guess this is a problem).
And a few days ago i started noticing a strange noice comming from this PSU (i can record it if necessary, and im not exatly sure when it appeared, because of my headset i could just didnt noticed it before)
Also i tryed to lower Power limit and Core close in MSI afterburner, noice became less loud.

So, my question is, am i in a BIG trouble and i should change my PSU asap?
Or its kinda okey and i can live with it for a month or so?
(I want to change PSU anyway. I guess for 750w (or a bit more) with a better certificate, im not really sure what the best choise for me)

Thank you in advance!

Hello!
Currently i have cx750m with a green label (im not sure, but i guess its a bronze certificate). This is a very old PSU, i have it for around 7 years already.

Around 2 weaks ago i've changed my GPU from 760 to Gigabyte 2070 gaming OC (GPU-Z show that it can reach 1950 clock, i guess this is a problem).
And a few days ago i started noticing a strange noice comming from this PSU (i can record it if necessary, and im not exatly sure when it appeared, because of my headset i could just didnt noticed it before)
Also i tryed to lower Power limit and Core close in MSI afterburner, noice became less loud.

So, my question is, am i in a BIG trouble and i should change my PSU asap?
Or its kinda okey and i can live with it for a month or so?
(I want to change PSU anyway. I guess for 750w (or a bit more) with a better certificate, im not really sure what the best choise for me)

Thank you in advance!
You should've replaced the power supply before you upgraded to the 2070. In order to give a recommendation for replacement you need to list all the parts of your system and your budget.

Dec 18, 2020
You should've replaced the power supply before you upgraded to the 2070. In order to give a recommendation for replacement you need to list all the parts of your system and your budget.

Before changing GPU i've asked on this forum if this one is decent enough for 3070, and i've got response that its okey, but its recommended to replace it. That's why i thought it should be okey to use this one with a 2070s instead, for a month or so.

PC spec:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770K, 3900 MHz
RAM: Kingston 99U5471-054.A00LF DDR3-1600
GPU: GigaByte 2070 super gaming OC
Storage: 1 2tb hard drive
(idk if i forgot anything)

Budget is around 100-130$ (its a bit hard to compare because i live in Russia and prices can be different).

Dec 18, 2020
Also, should i lower Power Limit to minimum (58%) and lower Core clock (for like 200 MHz ish, idk), in MSI Afterburner?
Since my CPU is bottleneck atm, i think i can lower GPU performance to decreese presure on PSU untill i will change it.

I don't know if its a healty thing to do.

DSzymborski

Titan
Before changing GPU i've asked on this forum if this one is decent enough for 3070, and i've got response that its okey, but its recommended to replace it. That's why i thought it should be okey to use this one with a 2070s instead, for a month or so.

PC spec:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770K, 3900 MHz
RAM: Kingston 99U5471-054.A00LF DDR3-1600
GPU: GigaByte 2070 super gaming OC
Storage: 1 2tb hard drive
(idk if i forgot anything)

Budget is around 100-130$ (its a bit hard to compare because i live in Russia and prices can be different).

I didn't say it was OK. I said it was probably OK if the label had black letters on a gray label and that an upgrade was recommended if there were any green letters. You never came back to clarify what you had. There's a real difference in quality between these generations.

And yes, I also realize that I wrote "lable" in that original post, a typo that irks me as someone who literally writes for a living.

Reactions: UselessSaint
Dec 18, 2020
I didn't say it was OK. I said it was probably OK if the label had black letters on a gray label and that an upgrade was recommended if there were any green letters. You never came back to clarify what you had. There's a real difference in quality between these generations.

Ouf, i've undertood it wrong, my bad. I thought that if it's can wait for a month.
But... thank you for you response, and sorry for beeing dum in some ways.

And yes, I also realize that I wrote "lable" in that original post, a typo that irks me as someone who literally writes for a living.

I didn't even notice it...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
Sorry for that much questions, but...

Is RM750x is worth buying?
I want to change other parts as well in future, that's why i would like to buy a good enough PSU that would be able to handle it all.
Currently i don't know exaclty what i'm going to buy, but is it worth in general?

Sorry for that much questions, but...

Is RM750x is worth buying?
I want to change other parts as well in future, that's why i would like to buy a good enough PSU that would be able to handle it all.
Currently i don't know exaclty what i'm going to buy, but is it worth in general?
The RM 750x is a good power supply and has a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: UselessSaint