Question Strange noise from pc

Crowywoey

Prominent
Feb 18, 2021
I’m using a new machine (prebuilt 5 months old) and since Ive had it there has been a sound that ive tried to ignore but gets annoying.

I’ve had no noticeable issues with the performance of the computer itself. When performing tasks such as downloading or playing games, the machine seems to make this sound for a brief period, then stop again. Depending on the load it will do it more often and for a longer amount of time. If anyone can tell what it is just from the sound that’d be great. I could try and listen to each fan/component until I know which is producing it.

here is a video demonstration: Video

I will also add that, at random, all of the peripherals will disconnect and reconnect within a split second. Some days it’ll be on for 8 hours and not do it once. Some days it’ll do it twice. I’ve also noticed that the LEDs produced from the PC components will also flash off and on at the same time as the peripheral disconnection.

Maybe the reason for both are connected somehow? No idea. Any help appreciated, cheers.

I cannot hear a thing there....but my ears aren't what they once were.

Get the cardboard tube from inside a roll of paper towels or toilet paper. Put one end tight up against your ear and slowly move the other end around inside the case, near each component. Like a megaphone.

That might tell you where its coming from.

Reactions: Crowywoey

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Listening to the video I hear a "woo-wooo" like sound. Almost whistle like.

I would unplug each fan one at a time and determine if the sound can be attributed to the presence of any one fan.

= = = =

As for the disconnects:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris as necessary.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Something may have just worked a bit loose.

Reactions: Crowywoey

Crowywoey

Prominent
Feb 18, 2021
Cheers for the replies so quickly. I will update my post tomorrow including specs. I shall turn the PC off and check it’s all in correctly and give it a clean. I will then listen by ear to each component. If I still can’t tell I will unplug each fan until I know what’s causing it.