[SOLVED] Strange Noise Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6G

drt1896

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
So, whenever my gpu either ramps up the frequency, or ramps it down, I hear this strange rattling noise. The video i will link are basically the highlights from a 5 minute session, so not to be confused, it is not constantly making this noise, yet, still comcerning. Anyway, GPU is working as expected in long gaming sessions and posting normal scores in 3dMark. What should I do? Live with it? RMA? Any fix?
Audio:
View: https://youtu.be/sinaJ_r-250

Last edited:
Solution
Strange thing is that it is most likely not a fan. It has a more electronic sound, not sure if it can be picked up in the video. Also weirder is that I believe after I turn the computer off, I still hear the sound sometimes, very strange indeed. Maybe the GPU is too heavy and the PCI slot is sort of damaged? Still doesn't explain why that happens when the card's frequency goes up and down. Will try this with the motherboard horizontally, so I can eliminate the card's weight variant.

Well, there are no other moving parts other than the fans! So as kerberos 20 said, and your sure it's not the fans on the GPU then it's possible it's the PSU, specially as you hear it after shut down. PSU fans might still spin down after use...

drt1896

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
That is odd, sounds like a fin on the fan is touching of the shroud or something.

You are sure it's the GPU? If so, I'd RMA it. If it is a fin touching off something, eventually it will fail, possibly sooner rather than later.
Strange thing is that it is most likely not a fan. It has a more electronic sound, not sure if it can be picked up in the video. Also weirder is that I believe after I turn the computer off, I still hear the sound sometimes, very strange indeed. Maybe the GPU is too heavy and the PCI slot is sort of damaged? Still doesn't explain why that happens when the card's frequency goes up and down. Will try this with the motherboard horizontally, so I can eliminate the card's weight variant.

the thing abou high frequency noise is that it should be outside of human hearing range....(20KHz+)
sometimes u can hear it only when it gets reflected from something

for example my psu SSR-750PX doesnt have any noise when im close to PC...but once i move about 4 meters away i can hear it buzzing from my glass door

so u shouldnt thrust your hearing direction too much :)

well maybe something on your mainboard or usb devices? those things still gets power even if pc is off

drt1896

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
the thing abou high frequency noise is that it should be outside of human hearing range....(20KHz+)
sometimes u can hear it only when it gets reflected from something

for example my psu SSR-750PX doesnt have any noise when im close to PC...but once i move about 4 meters away i can hear it buzzing from my glass door

so u shouldnt thrust your hearing direction too much :)

well maybe something on your mainboard or usb devices? those things still gets power even if pc is off
Is it possible this noise started happening when I changed from my 970 to the 2060, because of the higher power consumption, therefore the PSU might be struggling? In any case, the right course of action is getting a new one...? Right? Probably a 80+ Gold instead of a 80+ Bronze?

Well, there are no other moving parts other than the fans! So as kerberos 20 said, and your sure it's not the fans on the GPU then it's possible it's the PSU, specially as you hear it after shut down. PSU fans might still spin down after use.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $96.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:47 EDT-0400

It's a quality unit, that will last 7-10 years.

Solution

drt1896

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Well, there are no other moving parts other than the fans! So as kerberos 20 said, and your sure it's not the fans on the GPU then it's possible it's the PSU, specially as you hear it after shut down. PSU fans might still spin down after use.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $96.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:47 EDT-0400

It's a quality unit, that will last 7-10 years.
Well, though I am now more confident it is the PSU, my theory on it being the GPU was that it sounds like micro-explosions (I don't how else to explain it). So possibly the GPU's main chip or the memory were known to make noises like this.