Strange noise (not a hum, whirl, or static), hard to explain

Hondersons

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hello guys, I'll try to be as clear as possible. I apologize for anything in advance.

My computer has been making a strange noise for a few days now. It's constant, and I've heard it before, but it would usually go away after a few hours. This time, it seems like it's here to say. I haven't had any performance issues. My temperatures are fine. I've tried cleaning the computer, thinking maybe something was hitting the fans, but no dice. Then I thought maybe a bolt was loose, so I took apart the fan and tightened up the mobo a bit. This was also fruitless, and I figured while I was in there, might as well clean out the thermal paste and re-apply it (been 4 years since I looked under). None of these fixed the situation.

I've tried to pinpoint the problem, so I shut down my computer. I noticed that even when the fans are off, the noise persists for about 5-10 seconds after the shut-down, completely stopping after that time. Upon starting my computer up, the noise gradually builds up after maybe 20-30 seconds. In a minute, it's full force. The noise does turn into a screech once the computer is shut-down and the fans go off, but I assume it isn't the fans since the noise continues even when the blades stop whirling. It's not my PSU, as I've been able to isolate the sound to the center of my computer, which contains my cooler (NH14), graphic card (GTX 680), and mobo (Z77 Sabertooth).

Any ideas on what this could possibly be? Like I said, no performance issues, temperatures are same as always, only auditory in nature, but it's fairly loud and certainly doesn't seem normal.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Solution
Do a simple test. Turn it off, unplug or shut PSU on the switch behind if it has one and quickly push start button, see if it stops sooner.