Strange Noises and Performance Drops from my GPU

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
So I recently set up my computer after moving into my dorm. I made sure to be very careful with it when I moved it. After running for a little while, it started making some very strange noises. I took the panel off and felt around on different parts and noticed that my GPU would vibrate every time this noise happened which leads me to believe that it is my GPU making this noise. The fans were not running during this time and I even went into MSI Afterburner and maxed the fan speed to make sure it wasn't that fans making the noise and it wasn't.
Eventually the noise just stopped and I though nothing of it. However, I was playing games later on and I realized that I was getting terrible performance in them. I'm talking 30-40 FPS in games that I normally get 60-144+ FPS. This is scaring me now thinking that something might have happened to my GPU. I have an ASUS Strix 1080 ti. It's not even a year old yet. Do you think there's anything I can do for it? Would it still be under warranty? Should I cut my losses and buy a new one? If there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask. Thanks in advance.

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 1Poseidon3 : "Underperforming 1080ti and I can't figure out what's wrong"

I had a 1080ti that mysteriously up and died. Since it's still under warranty, I'm having ASUS RMA it. In the meantime, I bought another one of the same model so I could potentially SLI the two when I get the first one back but I've noticed some strange problems.
With my first 1080ti, I could play any game I wanted on max graphics at 144 FPS. With my new card, I am hardly hitting 144 FPS on any game and I experience frequent frame drops. I have also noticed certain programs that require GPU use (like EditSaber for Beat Saber) crash on startup. This is driving me absolutely insane as I cannot figure out why my 1080ti...
I would start with the basic things here:

Take out the GPU and reseat is carefully. Make sure that the Power connectors are in place and then reinstall the Nvidia driver.

Other than that: Could you give us full System spec, please?

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017

I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you on that.

I have:

• ■ OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    ■ Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3
    ■ Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz
    ■ RAM 16.0 GB DDR4 3000MHz
    ■ GPU ASUS Strix 1080 ti 11GB

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 1Poseidon3 : "Underperforming 1080ti and I can't figure out what's wrong"

I had a 1080ti that mysteriously up and died. Since it's still under warranty, I'm having ASUS RMA it. In the meantime, I bought another one of the same model so I could potentially SLI the two when I get the first one back but I've noticed some strange problems.
With my first 1080ti, I could play any game I wanted on max graphics at 144 FPS. With my new card, I am hardly hitting 144 FPS on any game and I experience frequent frame drops. I have also noticed certain programs that require GPU use (like EditSaber for Beat Saber) crash on startup. This is driving me absolutely insane as I cannot figure out why my 1080ti will not perform like a 1080ti. I have even tried overclocking it by following thorough guides on how to do so and all that come from it is even worse performance and frequent crashes.

I have an ASUS ROG Strix 1080ti
i7 6700K
16GB DDR4 memory
a GIGABYTE GA-170X mobo

I can't find any buy history for my PSU and I have no idea what it is exactly but I believe it's an 850 watt ThermalTake.

All of my drivers are updated to the latest versions as well.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm almost to the point of just getting rid of this computer and starting over from scratch. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I have noticed that it really doesn't like playing games in borderless windowed mode. In Rainbow 6 Siege, it runs at about 6 FPS until you change it back to fullscreen. It also does this in windowed mode. In Attack on Titan 2, it blackscreens when set to borderless windowed but appears to work when set to fullscreen.

EDIT 2: Idk why these two questions got merged because they are actually about two completely physically different cards but I think I solved both problems. For the first card I just sent it in to ASUS since it's still under warranty. For the second card, I just had to reinstall the graphics drivers. I was under the impression that since it was the same card, the same drivers would work but I guess I had to reinstall them.

Solution