[SOLVED] Strange Odor from Computer

Oct 13, 2020
This may not be the right place for this post, but none of the categories seem appropriate, and the problem could be related to overheating, so here goes... About a week ago I started to notice this strange odor coming from my computer. It's not a burning smell or anything like melting plastic. It reminds me of car exhaust and factory pollution, like a big city on a bad day. It's been getting worse, and I don't know what's causing it or how to stop it. Does anyone have a possible explanation or recommendation to offer?

Solution
Update your post to include full hardware specs - include PSU.

Someone may recognize a problematic component.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Use a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass to carefully inspect all components for signs of melting, swelling, discoloration, etc..

Look for signs of debris and bugs stuck in nooks and crannies.

Remove, as warranted, cards, RAM, drives, in order to examine them and the area around their original location.

Try to carefully sniff around as much as you can for the location/source of the smell. Not too close and no strong inhales - the substance could be toxic.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs - include PSU.

Someone may recognize a problematic component.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Use a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass to carefully inspect all components for signs of melting, swelling, discoloration, etc..

Look for signs of debris and bugs stuck in nooks and crannies.

Remove, as warranted, cards, RAM, drives, in order to examine them and the area around their original location.

Try to carefully sniff around as much as you can for the location/source of the smell. Not too close and no strong inhales - the substance could be toxic.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS