Strange OS Corruption Issues among other things

Apr 13, 2018
Hi Everyone, I've been using this site a lot recently to help with some issues I've been having but finally decided to try and post my issue to see if anyone has any insight as to what the error might or might have been.

First and foremost, I want to thank to community on here for everything they do and apologise because this post might be a long one. This site has been a huge help in trying to pinpoint the issue(s) I've been having and I would love everyones help on my current issue.

First of all, let me get some backstory as well as specs:

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD FX 8350
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600mhz DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
PSU: Corsair 600W Bronze
HDD: 1TB Caviar Black

Hopefully these should be enough but if there's any other information you need then please don't hesitate to ask and I'll attempt to reply with the information ASAP.

Now onto the issues as well as some backstory:

I recently came back from a year stay in Japan to find that my HDD (Different to the one currently being used) had gone bad. I got errors when starting the PC from S.M.A.R.T stating that it needed to be replaced, windows had seemingly corrupted.

I got my other HDD (Was inside the case alongside the bad one) and installed windows onto there instead after formatting it. I've been running on one HDD ever since.

Now here's the strange part (Or stupid move by me), not knowing at the time that a bad HDD couldn't really be fixed, I decided to see if I could reformat it and get it working again so that I could backup my files. Stupid, I know.

As soon as I did the PC wouldn't boot and windows corrupted instantly on my new HDD as well. It stated it was missing core files for windows boot-up and needed repairing. After being unable to fix it using things such as sfc /scannow I decided to just reformat the drive again and re-install windows one more time.

That worked for around a day and it's now corrupted again. I'm in the process of trying to re-install windows / get Linux up and running to check what's going wrong but I can't seem to boot into Linux either.

Another thing which I noticed at first was that my RAM was only registering 8/16GB in post, after reseating everything a few times it started posting 16GB again. Could this have been an issue with the RAM not being seated properly?

As of right now the computer seems to have booted but is endlessly spinning on "getting ready" for windows set-up.

I've ordered some new drives that will arrive tomorrow, but I want to know if the issue could lie somewhere else within the system.

Would appreciate any insight and such as to what measures to take for fixing this issue.

Thanks

PS. I've had multiple issues of the BIOS splash screen hanging also. Not input via the keyboard changes the screen and only a restart fixes it. From time to time I don't even get the computer to post and have to do a CMOS-reset to fix the issue.

Solution
Keep only the good drive in the system, get a new SATA cable, connect the new drive to the lowest SATA port on the motherboard, run Windows setup again and see if that works.