Question Strange PC crash issue

Mar 9, 2022
Hello! I have been having a very strange crashing issue with my PC (also sorry in advance if this doesn’t belong in Win10 forum; I am not sure if the issue is with windows or hardware or something else.)

The issue I am having is my PC will boot up, start and everything and I can play games and whatnot for a variable amount of time and then the PC will completely power off, no blue screen or anything. Sometimes I can play a game all day and it will be fine, sometimes it does this repeatedly every 10-15 min. I also have variable levels of success even powering it back on, sometimes I can hit the power button after it crashes and it will start back up, sometimes it boots after a second and then shuts off, and sometimes, more rarely, it just will not power on at all. No lights or sounds, anything.

Here are the solutions I have already tried:
I first thought it was an electrical issue, so I replaced the PSU, and still had the issue, and so I also replaced the mother board and CPU, and still had the same issue. At the same time I also got an SSD and installed a fresh install of Windows 10 and have been using that, but continuing to have the issue. I tried to run my PC without the old HDD connected, but my motherboard wouldn’t boot from the SSD even though it is GPT and should boot in UEFI (I tried solving this but couldn’t find why it wasn’t able to boot from it and got frustrated).
I have since put my old mobo and CPU back in since I couldn’t afford the new parts if they didn’t fix my issue.
I have two friends that work in IT and one has had me try things and the other has looked into my event log to see if anything made sense, and seemed to not find anything helpful. I can post an event log later if it will help. I have done the windows RAM diagnostic and Memtest86 and both returned good for the 2 sticks I have.
A couple days ago, when the PC was in a phase of not powering on at all, my friend had me remove/unplug everything except cpu and mobo power and it still didn’t turn on, but I had already replaced those, and so I’m very confused on what is causing this issue. I had thought maybe overheating too, but even while I have Elden Ring open my cpu was ~40 Celsius and my gpu was ~50 Celsius

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H mobo
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler
2x4gb ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4-2400
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
PNY CS900 240gb SSD
Nvidia GTX 970
Corsair 200D case
EVGA 500GD psu
Samsung cd/dvd writer
TP link tl wdn 4800

parts I have replaced/switched out: cpu, mobo, power supply, tested RAM ok

let me know if any other info is needed! I’d like to know if anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows what the cause may be. Thanks!

Hello! I have been having a very strange crashing issue with my PC (also sorry in advance if this doesn’t belong in Win10 forum; I am not sure if the issue is with windows or hardware or something else.)

The issue I am having is my PC will boot up, start and everything and I can play games and whatnot for a variable amount of time and then the PC will completely power off, no blue screen or anything. Sometimes I can play a game all day and it will be fine, sometimes it does this repeatedly every 10-15 min. I also have variable levels of success even powering it back on, sometimes I can hit the power button after it crashes and it will start back up, sometimes it boots after a second and then shuts off, and sometimes, more rarely, it just will not power on at all. No lights or sounds, anything.

Here are the solutions I have already tried:
I first thought it was an electrical issue, so I replaced the PSU, and still had the issue, and so I also replaced the mother board and CPU, and still had the same issue. At the same time I also got an SSD and installed a fresh install of Windows 10 and have been using that, but continuing to have the issue. I tried to run my PC without the old HDD connected, but my motherboard wouldn’t boot from the SSD even though it is GPT and should boot in UEFI (I tried solving this but couldn’t find why it wasn’t able to boot from it and got frustrated).
I have since put my old mobo and CPU back in since I couldn’t afford the new parts if they didn’t fix my issue.
I have two friends that work in IT and one has had me try things and the other has looked into my event log to see if anything made sense, and seemed to not find anything helpful. I can post an event log later if it will help. I have done the windows RAM diagnostic and Memtest86 and both returned good for the 2 sticks I have.
A couple days ago, when the PC was in a phase of not powering on at all, my friend had me remove/unplug everything except cpu and mobo power and it still didn’t turn on, but I had already replaced those, and so I’m very confused on what is causing this issue. I had thought maybe overheating too, but even while I have Elden Ring open my cpu was ~40 Celsius and my gpu was ~50 Celsius

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H mobo
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler
2x4gb ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4-2400
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
PNY CS900 240gb SSD
Nvidia GTX 970
Corsair 200D case
EVGA 500GD psu
Samsung cd/dvd writer
TP link tl wdn 4800

parts I have replaced/switched out: cpu, mobo, power supply, tested RAM ok

let me know if any other info is needed! I’d like to know if anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows what the cause may be. Thanks!
Your ram isn't supported on this board it maybe your issue

I’ve had the same board and ram for 6 yrs, could it still be something that sprung up this late?
Yes and no it isn't necessarily that it's spring out of no where it could be a factor of there's been certain on set problems for years you haven't really noticed and now it's just done trying to fight a battle it can't win. But the factor you are having the issue after 6 years tells me it probably wouldn't be the issue as well. So at this point I would try making sure you have the latest none beta bios for your mobo

Mar 9, 2022
Yes and no it isn't necessarily that it's spring out of no where it could be a factor of there's been certain on set problems for years you haven't really noticed and now it's just done trying to fight a battle it can't win. But the factor you are having the issue after 6 years tells me it probably wouldn't be the issue as well. So at this point I would try making sure you have the latest none beta bios for your mobo
Definitely a good idea and something I haven’t tried yet.. my bios version was still from 2015 haha so I will report back if this also hasn’t solved the problem.

No, I’ve never messed with overclocking so everything should be default still, and to be double sure I reset to optimized defaults last night
Do you have Intel turbo state or turbo what ever your board calls cpu boost, is it enabled if so try disabling it. And you have two stick of ram so is xmp enabled and set to profile 1 if so try 2 profile one sometimes isn't stable 2 may not be either you may need to alset ram timming your self

Mar 9, 2022
Do you have Intel turbo state or turbo what ever your board calls cpu boost, is it enabled if so try disabling it. And you have two stick of ram so is xmp enabled and set to profile 1 if so try 2 profile one sometimes isn't stable 2 may not be either you may need to alset ram timming your self
Intel turbo was set to auto so I set it to disabled. XMP was also already disabled, so if it crashes again I can try enabling XMP if that might help

Reactions: white.a.drew
Intel turbo was set to auto so I set it to disabled. XMP was also already disabled, so if it crashes again I can try enabling XMP if that might help
Yes this is correct however with two sticks of ram xmp should be pre enabled with profile one usually as default, however if profile one shows issues try profile two if this is still a issue with turbo disable and profile one and two set back to profile one

Mar 9, 2022
Yes this is correct however with two sticks of ram xmp should be pre enabled with profile one usually as default, however if profile one shows issues try profile two if this is still a issue with turbo disable and profile one and two set back to profile one
My XMP was disabled and only has a Profile 1, no Profile 2… and with it on profile 1 and with turbo disabled I am still experiencing the issue

Mar 9, 2022
I don’t have a hardware monitor, is that something I could get software wise or would that be something else? I have speccy but it’s not able to specify different gpu temps

Mar 9, 2022
Hwinfo should give you all the temps you need
This is the only info it gave, unless there's some way I can configure it to show more temps. I took 2 screen grabs, one is while idle and one is after having run elden ring for a while

w0e0a0y.png

qZXaJIq.png

This is the only info it gave, unless there's some way I can configure it to show more temps. I took 2 screen grabs, one is while idle and one is after having run elden ring for a while

w0e0a0y.png

qZXaJIq.png
The last temp reading in your Hotspot when posting this was 90c, I'm assuming it was the vram which means when under loads it's probably maxing out and killing the system stopping from frying the gpu

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022
The last temp reading in your Hotspot when posting this was 90c, I'm assuming it was the vram which means when under loads it's probably maxing out and killing the system stopping from frying the gpu
Would that still happen while not under load, though? The PC doesn’t only crash when I’m running things, it will turn itself on and sit on the log in screen for an hour and shut itself off

Mar 9, 2022
Run user benchmark and post a link to your results here if can I would also run occt power stresser and post them here as well

I can’t even do those right now, I tried taking out my hard drive and booting only from the SSD and my bios would recognize the SSD but not launch from it so it kept booting in a loop, so I put the hard drive back in and now the computer won’t boot at all. It will power on, but not make it to BIOS. I reseated everything and it didn’t help so I don’t know what I did or how to fix that now, lol

I went back and unplugged everything except cpu, cpu fan, and mother board and it still wasn’t booting properly, so I’m really not sure what to do now. I had the powering off issue when I swapped the cpu and mobo, so I’d have to assume cpu fan or my thermal paste job is bad I guess?

Last edited:
I can’t even do those right now, I tried taking out my hard drive and booting only from the SSD and my bios would recognize the SSD but not launch from it so it kept booting in a loop, so I put the hard drive back in and now the computer won’t boot at all. It will power on, but not make it to BIOS. I reseated everything and it didn’t help so I don’t know what I did or how to fix that now, lol

I went back and unplugged everything except cpu, cpu fan, and mother board and it still wasn’t booting properly, so I’m really not sure what to do now. I had the powering off issue when I swapped the cpu and mobo, so I’d have to assume cpu fan or my thermal paste job is bad I guess?
So your issue resides in your system files being mixed between the two drive you will need to set the HDD as the boot drive and back up all need info the remove HDD with system off boot straight to windows install and reinstall windows straight to the SSD only

TRENDING THREADS