Question Strange PC Power Problem

Nov 3, 2021
Hello,

For the past few months my PC has been randomly powering off whilst I'm using it. The times when it powers off are seemingly random however it always seems to happen when I press or click something - not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but an example is the other day I had turned on my PC and left it idle for some time before logging on. As soon as I pressed the spacebar to get past the lock screen it powered off.

After it powers off, I can turn it back on fine, but some 6-12 hours after it crashes if I try to turn it on again the lights will go on for about half a second and then switch straight back off. I have to turn off the power supply, wait around 10 seconds and then turn it on again before it'll actually turn on.

I'm sort of baffled by this. I guess it must be a PSU issue as temperatures are all fine and it turns off at totally random times. But before I go and buy a new PSU, any suggestions for what could be causing this or what I could do to fix it?

Don't remember all the specs but can look if it's any help!
PSU I believe is a CoolerMaster 500W.
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU,
MSI 1050ti 4GB
16GB DDR4 RAM (don't remember speed etc but can look if needed)

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, card, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, discolored components, swollen components, kinked or pinched wires, loose brackets, fans, drives.

= = = =

How old is the PSU? Heavy use history for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may have been captured when the random power offs occurred.

Nov 3, 2021
Will have a look later. PSU is around 4-5 years old I believe. I mined a little bit overnight a while ago but only for about a month. Has been used quite a lot for gaming

I've seen a lot of Error 6008 but nothing else in Event Viewer that I can identify

Thank you