Strange Power & Boot & Disk Management problems

Jorge3

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I seem to have a complication of problems on different levels.

1. A couple of months ago, I replaced a broken PSU with a new one (Corsair CX 750W), then the computer with its motherboard (ASUS P6T SE) began waking up about 5 seconds after every normal shut down, to a normal booting of the OS (Windows 7), forcing me to turn off the physical power button in order to prevent this automatic wake-up. If from the running OS I chose sleep instead of shut down, it would give me an inoperable black screen without turning off the power itself.

2. I disabled the Wake-on features of the network devices, and I updated the BIOS, which went without a problem, except that the auto wake-up continued.

3. I re-installed the OS, onto a new drive (Kensington SSDnow 120GB), and downloaded all the updates, which went without a problem, except that the auto wake-up continued. The other drives were not re-formatted, and I put the old OS files into a dedicated folder on the same drive. I also used this opportunity to apply a new thermal paste on the CPU (Intel i7-920 2.66 GHz) and replace the old GPU with a new one (GeForce GTX 760). Once booted up, the OS itself worked perfectly.

4. Still trying to solve the wake-up problem, I reset the BIOS by "loading optimized defaults". Upon re-starting, it would now say
- "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
I found a handful of threads discussing solutions to this message, but not quite helpful in my situation, which was that
- the SATA cables were tightly connected to all the drives
- the BIOS did recognize all the drives (except that it listed the SSD as "HDD")
- the boot priority was set to the OS-installed SSD
Eventually I managed to boot the OS through the following BIOS operations:
- disable all the drives except the SSD, and set the SSD's type to "cdrom" (instead of "auto")
- restart to get a message saying that Windows failed to boot then asking for F1 a couple of times
- back to the BIOS, set the SSD's type back to "auto", and enable all the drives except the (unlisted) SSD
The computer now resumed to boot up the OS properly, but the auto wake-up would still not go away.

5. In Windows, I opened the Disk Management for drive letter assignment before creating the first backup system image, to find this:

Disk 0 (internal SSD)
[C: Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition]

Disk 1 (internal HDD)
[U: System, Active, Primary Partition]

Disk 2 (internal HDD)
[System Reserved D: Active, Primary Partition] [I: Primary Partition]

Disk 3 (external HDD)
[O: Primary Partition]

Disk 4 (external HDD)
[E: Primary Partition]

It looked odd that Disk 1 & Disk 2 should be other than simple primary partitions. Disk 2 is the one where the old OS had been installed (and it turned from Disk 1 into Disk 2 probably during the last BIOS operations). Upon further research, I now realize that these disks may have been affected by the new installation of Windows 7 as they were connected/online during that process.

QUESTIONS:

- Is the System Reserved partition on Disk 2 (which is empty) part of the old OS on the same disk or the new OS on Disk 0? If part of the new OS, can I move it to Disk 0?

- As Disk 1 is described as "System, Active, Primary Partition", does it actually contain any system files? How do I turn it into a simple primary partition? (I read that Windows prevents a disk with such a description from being formatted.)

- Now that I seem to have exhausted all the given options to solve the auto wake-up, can you suggest another solution?

Thank you for your attention & time.

for the power off issue it a bios bug. you have to drain the motherboard of power then clear the cmos. with older motherboard make sure the sata ports set to achi mode and not to ide mode. that all the sata ports are turned on. some older mb have two sets of sata chipsets.

Jorge3

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

By keep pushing on the case's power button long enough while the power cable is unplugged?

Is that different from "loading optimized defaults" from within the BIOS? Would you suggest I reseat the jumper or the battery?

I read that changing from IDE to ACHI requires registry modification from within Windows. I will try that according to the following instruction:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/987378-how-to-switch-from-ide-to-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/

The official product page says "Intel X58/ ICH10R chipset". Is this a single set?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_SE/