[SOLVED] Strange power issue on Asus N550JK ?

robaka777

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
i have strange issue on Asus N550JK , it had battery died also cpu was stuck on 0.80ghz , so i replaced battery with aftermarket battery , now battery charges but when charger is connected cpu is still stuck on 0.80ghz but with only battery everything works normally.

More strange thing is that when charger is connected when battery also connected , charger-port side of laptop gets extremely hot. Can't figure out where it's coming from.
But when battery is not connected and only charger is connected, side of laptop does not get hot. I also tried different chargers, cpu/gpu temps are normal , bios is updated, cmos cleared, any idea what is wrong with it ?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

Check and see if you've got any BIOS updates pending. You can see what your current BIOS version is by installing CPU-Z and then looking under BIOS in Mainboard's tab. As for your battery, disconnect from the wall and remove the battery(while the laptop is powered down), press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then try and power the system up after reseating the battery.

As for your battery, have you made sure to charge and discharge it to aid in the battery's cycling? What OS are you working with?

robaka777

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
Happy New Year!

Check and see if you've got any BIOS updates pending. You can see what your current BIOS version is by installing CPU-Z and then looking under BIOS in Mainboard's tab. As for your battery, disconnect from the wall and remove the battery(while the laptop is powered down), press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then try and power the system up after reseating the battery.

As for your battery, have you made sure to charge and discharge it to aid in the battery's cycling? What OS are you working with?
i opened up laptop and one mosfet near charger port was burned/demaged visibly and i removed it, laptop does not take power from charger now, i will replace mosfet and then will check again.

bios version shows normally in bios and aslo in system information , it is last version which i updated (.210)

Last edited:

robaka777

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
You've found your problem.
i just soldered wire on place where i removed demaged mosfet and still same problem 0.80ghz , there is second mosfet next to this damaged mosfet place which is also gets extremely hot , probably problem is something else which causes mosfets to burn , and i can not fix it as i don't know what causes all of this problems