Strange printer installation error; driver not requested or taken...

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to install a printer onto an XP (SP3) computer and I am experiencing the strangest error.

Here is a little background about the installation - 1). The printer (a Kyocera FS-1100) is connected to a Windows 7 computer by USB, 2). The printer is shared from the Windows 7 computer, 3). Even though the Windows 7 computer is 64 Bit it has both 32 & 64 bit drivers installed.

When I run the 'Add Printer' Wizard (Start > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer) here are the details that I enter (after clicking through the first few dialogs)...

1). I select 'A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer

j9bk9l.jpg

2). I then click on Next
3). I select 'Connect to this printer...' > Name (as indicated below)

155ki28.jpg

4). I select Next

At this stage of the process I expect to be presented with a message concerning driver installation. However no such message is presented.

Here is the message that I receive when installing the printer onto another XP Computer (successfully) -

15gcn82.jpg

Instead of seeing the dialog above (or one similar) I am presented with the 'Default Printer' dialog, and then the 'Completing the Add Printer Wizard' dialog (at which point I click on Finish).

Even though the driver did not install correctly the Printer is available, and this is where the strangeness begins; if I right click on the printer then select Properties...

mt56cm.jpg

...I then see the message shown below -

2wbw5rs.jpg

Here I select 'Yes', and am then presented with the 'Add Printer Driver Wizard'.

1). I select 'Have Disk'
2). I navigate to the driver files (downloaded from Kyocera)
3). I install the files successfully (as shown below)

jai5tv.jpg

4). I click Finish and the Drivers files are copied into Window
5). The Printer Properties Dialog is presented

ouxelg.jpg

However if I click on the Advanced tab I see the screen below; and notice how the items are all greyed out and not selectable?

5y9qc2.jpg

Finally if I exit the properties dialog, and then right click on the printer and select Properties. Once more I am presented with the message seen earlier -

2wbw5rs.jpg

I believe that this issue could be caused by the fact that in this situation the Windows XP computer would normally get drivers from the printer host (e.g.: the Windows 7) computer. However this is just a guess, and doesn't bring me any closer to a solution.

Any help or suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I hope that the video below can clear up the issue at hand further -

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-VE0R0zxA&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Kind Regards,

Davo