[SOLVED] Strange problem with AiO pump.

Jun 29, 2020
Hey! First time posting here but seemed as good of a place as any.
I recently bought myself a new motherboard and cpu, after a few hiccups with tubing and cable management everything ran smoothly.
Happy with the result I turned it off and went to bed. When I woke up, I noticed the pc was acting up but thought nothing of it. But after having it turn off twice I went to check and it seemed like the pump wasn't moving the cooling around.
Opening up bios, it simply says the AiO pump is n/a. After now testing to connect it to every fan port I had, it always just shows up as n/a.
Now, if it was just that I would assume the pump died.
But everytime I turn on the pc, everything starts like normal, the cooling is being pumped around! But after a few seconds the pc turns off and reboots. This time succesfully but the pump doesn't seem to work now, but it is vibrating and making noise.
Anyone here who have any damn idea what might be happening?
My setup is.
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Prime b450 plus motherboard.
Two sticks of corsair vengeance LPX 8gb ddr4 3000 MHz
I am pretty sure it is a Radeon 7960 graphics card.
The pump is a phobia DC12-400 12volt.
And the case is a corsair obsidian 750d.

Solution
Yeah, I don't think I have much to add here. I think everyone else pretty much covered what needed to be said.

To reiterate. The water block mount on the CPU is certainly not correct. @rubix_1011 is right the mounting mechanism shouldn't be hanging out there. It's one thing if it's not being used but don't leave it hanging around. If it is being used...It's very possible the CPU is overheating. The fluid looks clear in the res, but those tubes are heavily stained and I would bet that there is probably some gunk build up in the GPU block since that wasn't replaced. Thankfully new tubes are only 30 bucks.

If the pump is dead, (it may be clogged with whatever stained the tubes) get a mount for it's replacement. The Phobya is a...
Jun 29, 2020
When I try looking this up, all I get are results of an actual pump for a custom liquid cooler, not an AIO...
What's the name of the actual AIO?

Is the header that you have the pump plugged into manually set to PWM mode?
If it's left to auto, it(pump) will shut off at times because it isn't getting enough voltage.
I am really sorry!
Yes it is just a normal pump, just quickly wrote AIO without thinking since that is what the pump seemed to be in bios.
And I have tried setting it to both auto, DC and PWM, neither seems to make a difference.
I do apologize for being unclear or lacking in info, am still very new to computer building and watercooling.

Jun 29, 2020
If you mean just the pump it sits on its own with the radiator at the top of the case with the clear container next to the motherboard.
I don't know what anything is called other than the pump in the loop, sorry.
And I had it connected to the aio pump header, but now it doesn't seem to do anything.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
How do you know the rebooting and the cooling pump are related and an issue?

Simply not having the pump listed in BIOS does not mean it is broken...it might not be PWM capable or able to provide an RPM reading, unless it was certain it was already there previously. Even so, the 'pump vibrating and moving coolant' tells me otherwise that the pump actually works...at least somewhat.

1) So, to clarify, the MB and CPU were swapped out, but the rest of the items in the photo were from before? If the pump was seen before in BIOS, was it re-connected and confirmed visible in new MB BIOS?

2) What in the actual......world......is up with that CPU block mount? This looks incredibly wrong and might be your actual issue. Why is it crooked? Why does it look as if the bottom bracket is swinging loose? Is this from the process of transplanting the motherboard and CPU and attempting to re-mount the CPU block? What CPU/MB were used before this one?

3) How old is that tubing? It looks many, many, MANY years old.

This whole image makes me cringe.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That looks like one of those eBay 'ships from China' $15 Universal cpu blocks, that was probably designed originally for Am3/Intel, but twisted cock-eyed to fit the AM4 mount. Of which it looks like one of the stock brackets is used as a spacer on the bottom right.

That tubing is seriously old and discolored, it was clear at one time, can see that at several of the connectors. This whole build looks like it's from so far out in the back hills, I'd not be surprised if the tubing was originally fuel lines from a tractor.

The loop is right. Res, drain, pump, rad, cpu, rad, res, that all looks good. What's not good is the cpu block, the old tubing, that ddc hanging out in mid air in front of the psu. Shorten up that tube, get it mounted under the res before the drain, get that pc cleaned up, replace the block with one designed for AM4, replace the tubing before it fails. Flush out the entire system, that means cleaning the rads right, get some biocide in it.

Why can I imagine there's some aluminium and copper mixing of parts going on? Are both of those rads copper?

Yeah, I don't think I have much to add here. I think everyone else pretty much covered what needed to be said.

To reiterate. The water block mount on the CPU is certainly not correct. @rubix_1011 is right the mounting mechanism shouldn't be hanging out there. It's one thing if it's not being used but don't leave it hanging around. If it is being used...It's very possible the CPU is overheating. The fluid looks clear in the res, but those tubes are heavily stained and I would bet that there is probably some gunk build up in the GPU block since that wasn't replaced. Thankfully new tubes are only 30 bucks.

If the pump is dead, (it may be clogged with whatever stained the tubes) get a mount for it's replacement. The Phobya is a PWM pump and should have the capability of receiving a PWM signal and outputting a RPM signal. If it isn't showing up on the BIOS, it might be dead. I see a red/yellow/black wire which I assume to be RPM/PWM/GND. Where is the 12V Molex plugged in? It's probably there I just don't see it. Generally if the pumps PWM signal is not engaged the pump defaults to full speed. You might try unplugging that from the MOBO and then the pump might start working normally. I have a D5 pump, that's how it works the Phobya pumps might be different.

That case is the 900D, not the 750D. I have the 750D. And it could use a good dusting. If there is that much dust in the case then there's probably a lot more in the rads that needs blown out. Given the age of the system the top rad is very likely an all copper design. EK didn't start making aluminum rads (AFAIK) until a few years ago. The 120 on the back might be different.

I hope it doesn't feel like we're dog piling on you @FeralRage We are passionate about tech and have been summoned.

Solution