[SOLVED] Strange problem with my computer

Jul 13, 2020
My computer has had this problem for the past week now. For some days, its perfectly fine and runs all the games at the fps its supposed to run at. Just yesterday I was playing Dota 2, and it ran at 100 fps. Today I booted Dota 2, and it ran at 100 fps for 1 minute, and then it drastically reduced fps to 30. I noticed that shaking the computer case passively fixed the problem most of the times, but now it doesn't fix it. On the days that the fps is high, I notice that the computer case generates a vibrating sound. And on days where the fps is low, the cpu is silent. What can be the cause for this, and what is the fix? I notice that my GPU is at 80 C today, but it doesn't seem to be the cause. If you need more specifications, ask me.

Solution
Hey there,

First things first. Don't shake your PC! That may have helped accidentally, but will only make the problem worse, and maybe damage your PC for good.

With everything you'e said, it sounds like maybe your CPU cooler, or fans on some components are failing. If your CPU temps is 80c, and it's not doing anything, then that's bad.

To me its your CPU causing issues, because it's overheating.

Start with listing your PC specs. Next, I would check your fans, and make sure they are spinning correctly. You may need to take off the side panel of your case, to see the fans. Be careful doing this, as long as you are careful, you will be fine.

If you heard a vibrating sound, there are other components that have fans, that could make a...
Hey there,

First things first. Don't shake your PC! That may have helped accidentally, but will only make the problem worse, and maybe damage your PC for good.

With everything you'e said, it sounds like maybe your CPU cooler, or fans on some components are failing. If your CPU temps is 80c, and it's not doing anything, then that's bad.

Start with listing your PC specs. Next, I would check your fans, and make sure they are spinning correctly. You may need to take off the side panel of your case, to see the fans. Be careful doing this, as long as you are careful, you will be fine.

If you heard a vibrating sound, there are other components that have fans, that could make a similar noise. Your GPU, your PSU. Check and listen closely to see if those fans are spinning as they should too.

Let us know how you get on.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020
Hey there,

If you heard a vibrating sound, there are other components that have fans, that could make a similar noise. Your GPU, your PSU. Check and listen closely to see if those fans are spinning as they should too.

Let us know how you get on.

I just remembered that I took this CPU on a two hour trip on a car to another city. I suspect that the computer case had a lot of stuff on it on top. Would this have done some damage to my computer? The trip was 2-3 months ago and the problems with my computer appeared a month ago. So i closed the game and checked my CPU temperature it is 52 C now. Do you have more advice from here? Thanks for your help Keith.

Hmmm. Yes, if on the journey there was stuff on top of PC and moving around, it's very possible that something has become damaged.

But from what you say, it may be as simple as a CPU cooler fan. If your CPU is idling at 52c, that to me is wrong.

Listing your PC specs will help here.

Glad to help, but just make sure you try the advice above and see if you can hone in on the noise. Most things like this are fixable, so I wouldn't be worrying too much right now.