Strange problem with network card / GPU interaction?

crypticmtd

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
I have an TP-LINK Archer T6E and I had a GTX 670.

I just updated my GPU to an RTX 2070 and I had to move my network card from PCIEXT_3 to PCIEXT_1 to fit the GPU.

This caused my network card to fail when trying to connect to ANY network (I can still see the networks).

This is the strange bit: it works fine with the TP-LINK drivers but not the Broadcomm generic drivers. However, the TP-LINK drivers seem to be ruining my internet speed (20% of what it should be).

So, I tried removing my GPU, plugging my network adapter back into the PCIEXT_3 and uninstalling the drivers. I then moved it back to PCIEXT_1 (without the GPU in) and it works fine with the Broadcomm drivers (with full internet speed). I then put my GPU back in and it stopped working again...

I'm at a loss here.

Solution
It will fit.

It will switch graphics card from x16 operation to x8 operation.
May slightly impact GPU performance, but impact should not be very noticeable. You'd have to to some benchmarking to compare.

crypticmtd

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013

Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-rev-13 (haven't upgraded in years)

I've done a bit of digging around and it turns out that changing the bandwidth frequency on the NIC from 20MHz/40MHz to 20MHz only has fixed it (last post in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/362191-33-graphics-card-stress-lose-wireless-internet-connection)

My internet speed is still sitting at ~30mbps when without the GPU it is ~140mbps, not sure how to solve this one.

crypticmtd

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013

It is working so much better now, thanks very much! I didn't know you could use PCI x16 slots for PCI x1

Dec 2, 2018
I'm having a very similar problem; I have a TP-LINK Archer T6E and a 1070 ti. After installing TP link drivers, my computer refuses to boot up. The led indicator on my motherboard shows that it can't find the graphics card(display error). This problem persists after uninstalling the TP link drivers.