[SOLVED] Strange problem with PC

funghi79

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
When I set my PC up, it needs to be plugged into the socket for a few seconds before the power button will work to boot the PC. I can turn my PC on and off numerous times and it will boot up straight away provided I haven't turned the electric off at the wall socket.

However, once that socket is turned off, the same thing happens next time I go to start the PC. Has anyone ever had that experience before? Everything works perfectly asides from that, its very odd.

Solution
I would check the psu for leakage.Also check the battery of the motherboard. Or perhaps your pc draws more current than your psu can handle (small psu)..

Ralston18

Titan
Do not use a switched wall outlet to turn the computer off.

When you do a normal shutdown process via Windows, Windows may take a few seconds to do house-cleaning , minor file updates, some configuration changes, etc,, and take other necessary actions in preparation for the next boot up.

A hard power off prevents windows from doing so and can even corrupt files.

Then at the next boot Windows has to get any and all resulting issues resolved before being able to boot again.

And, based on your description of "plugging in" there may also be a problem with the wall outlet/socket being used. With the socket also being switched the problem could even be within the switch and the wiring connections themselves.

Hopefully the wall outlet is wired that one outlet is on the switch and the other outlet is unswitched. Use the un-switched outlet to power the PC.

If the problems continue then get an electrician to look at the outlet and switch. Could be loose wires, degraded outlet, an older, failing switch.

Electricians can (and do) modify wall outlets to change them from both outlets switched (if that is the case as often happens in older homes) to one socket switched - one socket un-switched.

Key though is to always do a normal windows shutdown. No hard power off's. Last resort if all else fails....

funghi79

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion. I NEVER turn the PC off at the wall, I always shut down correctly.

What I meant is that after shutting down the PC correctly, I always turn the socket off at the wall. Next time I turn the socket on at the wall, it takes a few seconds before the power button starts the boot process.

I have built several PCs and regularly upgrade and service them for friends and family so I'm reasonably experienced though no expert. However, I've never come across this situation before, it s very strange.

Not really a fix as such, nor do I know why it happens, but there really is no need to turn of the PSU at the wall socket after you've shut down your PC (unless you intend to open the case for hardware upgrades or cleaning).

I never switch of at the wall-socket or pull the plug, and I suspect that applies to many other PC owners.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not really a fix as such, nor do I know why it happens, but there really is no need to turn of the PSU at the wall socket after you've shut down your PC (unless you intend to open the case for hardware upgrades or cleaning).

I never switch of at the wall-socket or pull the plug, and I suspect that applies to many other PC owners.

Hell, I never turn off a PC, period! lol

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran