Strange problem with static electricity and the volume jumping/increasing/raising

Nov 14, 2018
I have a surface pro laptop connected to a docking station. the docking station has a set of high-end speakers. I sit in what is best described as cubicle furniture. The problem I have is that if any static electricity builds up from walking on the carpet and I touch even my chair while listening to music I'll hear a pop and the volume will jump 5db or so. As you can imaging in an office that would be a problem. All of my equipment is plugged into a power strip that shows a wringing fault if one was present - it's not indicating a fault. That tells me the ground to the outlet is good. No idea how to solve this problem. Not a good look when the IT manager's sound system inadvertently starts blasting in the office - even if everyone like your music. :)

Adding to this as a test I've replaced the power strip and taken ALL of electrical items that are connected to the power strip including the power strip and suspended them so they aren't touching the carpet all. I'm pretty sure it's still happening. :-(

Nov 14, 2018

I don't even have to touch anything on my desk. I could simply roll my chair back so I can sit in it and it'll happen. Only happens in this configuration - never been able reproduce the problem. I have a very similar setup in my home office and don't have this problem.