Strange problem with Windows 7-based system

jameson77

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago, I was prompted with a hard drive repair on startup and I didn't think too much of it. Last night, I shut my computer down in order to transfer one of my monitors downstairs in order to help my friend make sure he had configured everything in his new build. Upon booting my system, I was prompted with the "black screen of death." To me, it seemed that I could address that as an isolated problem and proceed as usual.

The problem, now, is that my computer boots to my desktop as usual. I've opened my task manager and reviewed the processes and it seems that at least a few are missing, but I'm not sure exactly as to which aren't running. Additionally (and what seems to be the major problem to me), is that both AVG and Norton are bypassing or canceling their virus scans. I've tried booting in safe mode and running scans (which fail at the "starting..." process) even though I'm not sure that this is the correct action to take in order to resolve my issue, but I'm frankly at a loss.

Despite having grown up with the operating system, nothing I can think of seems to be addressing my issue. I'd love to figure out what is wrong with my system so I can continue to use it. If anyone can help, I'd be indebted in words I can't seem to find.

Solution
Hello... a harddrive repair is a sign you have corrupted files on the hardrive... save important data and do a Windows repair or re-install, using your Bootable media... All updates will be lost, as files will be restored to what is on your media source... if problem continues verify your hardrive connections or replace the hardrive.
Hello... a harddrive repair is a sign you have corrupted files on the hardrive... save important data and do a Windows repair or re-install, using your Bootable media... All updates will be lost, as files will be restored to what is on your media source... if problem continues verify your hardrive connections or replace the hardrive.

Solution