Strange problem

I'm having a resolution/refresh rate issue. When I change the resolution on
my desktop and then change the refresh rate for it, everything works fine,
but when I use the same resolution in a game, the refresh rate drops. For
example, I can get my monitor to go fine with 1600x1200 at 72 mhz on the
desktop, but when it jumps into a game at 1600x1200, the refresh rate drops
to 60 mhz. What causes this and how can I fix it? It's a noticeable drop
on a few games. The only reason that I know is because I have a Hitachi
CM751 monitor that flashes the refresh rate on the screen every time it
changes resolutions (pain in the ass!). Could it be reporting incorrectly?
It reports it correctly on the desktop.

Mr. Brian Allen wrote:
> I'm having a resolution/refresh rate issue. When I change the resolution on
> my desktop and then change the refresh rate for it, everything works fine,
> but when I use the same resolution in a game, the refresh rate drops. For
> example, I can get my monitor to go fine with 1600x1200 at 72 mhz on the
> desktop, but when it jumps into a game at 1600x1200, the refresh rate drops
> to 60 mhz. What causes this and how can I fix it? It's a noticeable drop
> on a few games. The only reason that I know is because I have a Hitachi
> CM751 monitor that flashes the refresh rate on the screen every time it
> changes resolutions (pain in the ass!). Could it be reporting incorrectly?
> It reports it correctly on the desktop.

That's a normal change as the default refresh rate for DirectX is 60Hz.
(By the way those rates are all Hz not mhz.) It is possible to change
the default DirectX rate to something else using DxDiag but the response
of the game may suffer.

teqguy

Robert Gault wrote:

> Mr. Brian Allen wrote:
> > I'm having a resolution/refresh rate issue. When I change the
> > resolution on my desktop and then change the refresh rate for it,
> > everything works fine, but when I use the same resolution in a
> > game, the refresh rate drops. For example, I can get my monitor to
> > go fine with 1600x1200 at 72 mhz on the desktop, but when it jumps
> > into a game at 1600x1200, the refresh rate drops to 60 mhz. What
> > causes this and how can I fix it? It's a noticeable drop on a few
> > games. The only reason that I know is because I have a Hitachi
> > CM751 monitor that flashes the refresh rate on the screen every
> > time it changes resolutions (pain in the ass!). Could it be
> > reporting incorrectly? It reports it correctly on the desktop.
> >

> That's a normal change as the default refresh rate for DirectX is
> 60Hz. (By the way those rates are all Hz not mhz.) It is possible to
> change the default DirectX rate to something else using DxDiag but
> the response of the game may suffer.

Get an application such as NV Hard Page or NVidia Refresh Rates Tweaker
from www.guru3d.com

You can lock all of your refresh rates to their desired settings.

I've modified my monitor drivers to not allow any refresh rates lower
than the highest, you can try that if you like.

It's also possible to force higher refresh-rates by changing settings in
nVidia driver itself. With other words - no tweak utilities are needed, and
this is also a very easy thing to do. I would guide you how to do it, but
since I have Swedish OS / drivers, everything is called diferently.

MheAd wrote:

> It's also possible to force higher refresh-rates by changing settings
> in nVidia driver itself. With other words - no tweak utilities are
> needed, and this is also a very easy thing to do. I would guide you
> how to do it, but since I have Swedish OS / drivers, everything is
> called diferently.

Nvidia's refresh utility does not work correctly, Window's has it's own
set of locked refresh rates you have to adjust.

> MheAd wrote:

> Nvidia's refresh utility does not work correctly, Window's has it's own
> set of locked refresh rates you have to adjust.

Now, I don't know what driver version you are running, but on mine (53.03),
and I believe several versions backwards, the refresh utility DOES work.
Most of the games (especially when using WinXP) run on 60hz if there isn't
any refresh rate setting in a game itself, but once you've adjusted driver
settings properly (and these settings are meant in the first place
exclusively to override refresh rates locked by Windows), you can get the
maximal refresh rate that your monitor supports in any, and I mean really
ANY game known to man. I'm getting 85HZ on all games when running them on
1024x768. That's the highest my monitor can handle at this and higher
resolution. But if your monitor technically supports higher rates, you could
adjust the nVidia driver to force games run in 100HZ !!!

So trust me, only if you know how to do this - it works with no problems.