Question Strange PSU/CPU Issue

Mar 12, 2022
Hi Guys,
Im an experienced PC builder and have built over 100 PC's and am having a strange issue which ive never seen before and am hoping someone has experienced it or has any ideas on cause and resolution as im stumped.
Ive got a Ryzen 5 5600x CPU which seems to be causing a short or tripping the short protection in any PSU i connect.
I go to boot and the PSU just clicks. Yes ive confirmed this PSU works as its straight out of another build and it boots any other CPU or build fine.
Now to confirm this PSU was fine i have another PSU out of another build which i also tested and the same problem occurs.
I initially thought this was a faulty motherboard so ive got a brand new B550 to replace the initial B550 and the exact same thing happens on either board with any PSU i try to connect to it.
Ive got them breadboarded and only running CPU, Cooler, RAM and GPU for post purposes.

Any ideas because iam out of ideas at this point.

Thanks in advance!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And I'm assuming you've double checked that none of the pins are compromised? As in either bent or gotten Arctic Silver 5 or liquid metal stuck at the base between pins?

If that checks, I'd agree with @Ralston18 and the cpu is defective, an internal short that's tripping the psu protections. Although generally a shorted psu will trip, click, only once and require a power off (pull the plug or hit the button and wait a second) reset.

Mar 12, 2022
And I'm assuming you've double checked that none of the pins are compromised? As in either bent or gotten Arctic Silver 5 or liquid metal stuck at the base between pins?

If that checks, I'd agree with @Ralston18 and the cpu is defective, an internal short that's tripping the psu protections. Although generally a shorted psu will trip, click, only once and require a power off (pull the plug or hit the button and wait a second) reset.
Yeah can confirm no bent pins or thermal in the pins

SciotoMoving

Honorable
Sep 5, 2015
The EXACT same issue with an I9-12900K build on an Asus z690 board. I exchanged the mobo and the CPU today because I was just baffled at what could have caused it, same problem, on my second 1200w PSU ...

Sitting here on the 11th hour or so and finally said to myself, "self it's a power issue, not a component issue." It's either a short at the back of the board, or in a cable. The statistical probability of me having 2 CPU and 2 mobo from a retailer be DOA is pretty much impossible.

Which got me to stop looking for faulty components, and I said "F-it" and replaced all the cables with ones from a newer PSU I had gotten recently.

Boots right up, added back in the RAM, GPU, etc. everything is running fine now.

Solution
Replace the cables till you find your faulty one and trash it :).

Hopefully this fixes or gets you a little closer to your solution!

Anyone who recommends 'try another PSU' on the forums does an inadvertent but potentially expensive disservice by not advising to NOT mix up/reuse modular cables from old PSU with new one....PERIOD.

If cables were mixed up between PSUs while troubleshooting, it's open season on what all might be bad now, as opposed to what the original problem was/might have been.

SciotoMoving

Honorable
Sep 5, 2015
Umm, modular cables are not universal. Your advice of "hey, swap out cables from other PSUs until it works" is more likely to fry a component than fix an issue.

Except they're all from the same PSUs, I guess you didn't ask that before getting all knowledgeable and judgmental.

My suggestion is not to find random PSUs and dig cables out of the trash until you find one that works ... It's the cables he currently has. A cable probably actually has a short in it and is causing the short protection mode to activate in the PSU :). Again, swap the wires.

Mar 12, 2022
The EXACT same issue with an I9-12900K build on an Asus z690 board. I exchanged the mobo and the CPU today because I was just baffled at what could have caused it, same problem, on my second 1200w PSU ...

Sitting here on the 11th hour or so and finally said to myself, "self it's a power issue, not a component issue." It's either a short at the back of the board, or in a cable. The statistical probability of me having 2 CPU and 2 mobo from a retailer be DOA is pretty much impossible.

Which got me to stop looking for faulty components, and I said "F-it" and replaced all the cables with ones from a newer PSU I had gotten recently.

Boots right up, added back in the RAM, GPU, etc. everything is running fine now.

Solution
Replace the cables till you find your faulty one and trash it :).

Hopefully this fixes or gets you a little closer to your solution!
Problem is though if thats the case how do i get same replication of issue with completely different PSU's
I just tested it with a third PSY a corsair and the same thing.

DSzymborski

Titan
Except they're all from the same PSUs, I guess you didn't ask that before getting all knowledgeable and judgmental.

And exactly how would someone who doesn't know that modular PSU cables are not universal know that there's additional context that you did not provide? We already knew he has multiple PSUs, so could have taken advice from you without your qualifier; what if he didn't know that you meant something more? Were you going to pay for his destroyed components?

Again, if you give dangerous advice that has a qualifier that makes it not dangerous advice, the time to give it is when you give that dangerous advice. This is not negotiable; this is a prerequisite for continuing to post here.

SciotoMoving

Honorable
Sep 5, 2015
And exactly how would someone who doesn't know that modular PSU cables are not universal know that there's an additional context that you did not provide? We already knew he has multiple PSUs, so could have taken advice from you without your qualifier; what if he didn't know that you meant something more? Were you going to pay for his destroyed components?

Again, if you give dangerous advice that has a qualifier that makes it not dangerous advice, the time to give it is when you give that dangerous advice. This is not negotiable; this is a prerequisite for continuing to post here.

Brother, ya can't save 'em all, sorry that you feel like ya can. He said he's an experienced PC builder with over 100+ PC builds, and he's having a problem. I assumed he had a working knowledge of modular cables. I'm sorry you still feel like he's an amateur, and we need to coddle him and that if he lit his components on fire because of information he picked up from an online forum, someone would need to be responsible for reimbursing him.

I've had this account for six years or something and used it about five times, ban away, brother! I was reading, thinking, responding, and trying to help out. I won't make the mistake again :).

PS Don't put your fingers in any light sockets, look both ways before crossing the street, and don't take yourself too seriously.

PSS Did someone makes sure he's turning the PSU off before he swaps them? Ya know how those experienced builders are always forgetting dangerous things.

DSzymborski

Titan
Brother, ya can't save 'em all, sorry that you feel like ya can. He said he's an experienced PC builder with over 100+ PC builds, and he's having a problem. I assumed he had a working knowledge of modular cables. I'm sorry you still feel like he's an amateur, and we need to coddle him and that if he lit his components on fire because of information he picked up from an online forum, someone would need to be responsible for reimbursing him.

I've had this account for six years or something and used it about five times, ban away, brother! I was reading, thinking, responding, and trying to help out. I won't make the mistake again :).

Other people read threads too. And no, it's not obvious to people in the way that not sticking your finger in the socket is. In fact, we've had people destroy their components here quite often doing this.

You still don't seem to understand the issue. You gave advice that was dangerous without a disclaimer. And then complained when you were called out on that.

Just don't give irresponsible advice. Is that so hard? It's not about you and your feelings, but about the people here who come for advice, many of whom don't have a lot of subject matter expertise.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

My suggestion is not to find random PSUs and dig cables out of the trash until you find one that works ... It's the cables he currently has. A cable probably actually has a short in it and is causing the short protection mode to activate in the PSU :). Again, swap the wires.

He literally said in his post he tried 2 DIFFERENT PSUs. Taking that context look at the context of your reply before you get defensive over your bad advice.

Mar 12, 2022
whoa dudes calm down just wanted some to see if there was anything i may have overlooked in troubleshooting this issue.
I picked up another Ryzen CPU and all is functioning well.
Looks like the 5600x was defective in some way and caused all the issues with tripping on the PSU's as the new CPU has been tested on all 3 and no issues what so ever.

Reactions: Rogue Leader