Strange Restarts

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
My computer restars every time that a large picture loads in Firefox/IE. I'm pretty sure that its the memory that causes this. I ran Memtest for a few hours and received about 8 errors. Would anything else but the memory cause this problem?

<i>I pretend to know what I'm talking about.</i>

endyen

Splendid
Still running your ballistix @2,2,2,5 @2.6v?
An error in memtest86 could be caused by anything in the memory subsystem. This includes only the ram, slots, traces, and odmc, in your case. First thing I would do is up the v-dimm to 2.8v. If that doesn't do it, it's time to slack off on the timings.. First off allow a little try 2,2,2,8.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I ran memtest at stock speeds at 2.8v. I then tried loosening the timings to 3-3-3-8 at 2.8v and it stil does the crashing in windows.

endyen

Splendid
What bios are you using? If it's older, flash it. If that doesn't help, check out dfi street. They have some "special" bios, and can be very helpful with that board.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Well i got the new bios and didn't have problems with it fora bout 3 weeks then problems start coming now.
previous bio I never had problem with. I'm usin the DFI LANparty sli-DR

endyen

Splendid
That's why I sent you to dfi street. Thier bios have a lot of extra settings, that can get quite confusing. I dont have one of those boards handy, so I cant go through it with you.
Thing is, they can be a real pain to set up, but once you are there, it's worth it.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah I'm pretty sure its cooked. I went back to older bios, ( i think 03/10/05 and still got 6 errors in Memtest after 12 hours. I ran it at 2-2-2-6 at 2.8v. Everything else at stock speeds.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Can't remember exactly how your RAM is set up, but I'm assuming you have more than one stick. Try all the above with each stick individually - perhaps one is shagged.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>