Question Strange RTX 3050 model (65w) on laptop ?

Jun 2, 2023
The laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ARH7 equipped with an RTX 3050.

On Nvidia Control Panel it shows that the GPU's Max Graphics Power is 65w which I have tested through Heaven Benchmark 4.0. However, the Graphics Boost Clock seems relatively low at 1057 Mhz. According to this article, I think it would fit the specs of a 35w variant.

Moreover, I monitored the GPU with HWiNFO64 while benchmarking and the Maximum GPU Clock was much higher than the previously mentioned (1747 Mhz).

I have no idea what variant this 3050 is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
its likely its working within the constraints of the cooling solution offered to it. It looks like they reduce their speed to increase battery life and reduce heat.

So yes, its probably set to run slower.

3050 chart
SR3YsgL.jpg

looking at that chart, if its hitting 1747 on hwinfo it has to be running at 80. the max it shows on HWINFO is today, it restarts on startup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wonder if this chart help identify it:
Dp6nzdZ.jpg

most reviews just mention that range, so it might be you have an 80w based on boost clock speed**

possible it varies speed depending on demand. run at 35 at desktop for instance.

According to spec sheet for laptop, its 95 watts -

FLhkSbb.jpg

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...ro_16ARH7/Lenovo_Legion_5_Pro_16ARH7_Spec.pdf

strange that TGP for 80watts in top chart is equal to 95watts on 2nd chart. Could be its limited to 80 regardless of its actual max.

**dynamic boost can go above max boost clock, in some circumstances. Depends on operating conditions.

edit: charts changed after I noticed it was a 3050 ti, not 3050

Last edited:
Reactions: DemonicCow
Jun 2, 2023
wonder if this chart help identify it:
Dp6nzdZ.jpg

most reviews just mention that range, so it might be you have an 80w based on boost clock speed**

possible it varies speed depending on demand. run at 35 at desktop for instance.

According to spec sheet for laptop, its 95 watts -

FLhkSbb.jpg

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...ro_16ARH7/Lenovo_Legion_5_Pro_16ARH7_Spec.pdf

**dynamic boost can go above max boost clock, in some circumstances. Depends on operating conditions.

edit: charts changed after I noticed it was a 3050 ti, not 3050
Actually the laptop is an Ideapad but I don't see any TDP mentioned in spec sheet https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ARH7?MT=82sn#

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was looking at tgp, not tdp. its how its measured on both charts.

TGP = Total Graphics Power. Its what the Nvidia control panel reported as 65watts

TDP/TBP and TGP are terms related to the power consumption and management of computer processors, particularly in graphics processing units (GPUs).

TDP (Thermal Design Power) or TBP (Typical Board Power) is a measure of the maximum power that a processor or GPU can consume under normal operating conditions, such as running an intensive workload like gaming or rendering. It represents the maximum amount of heat that the system's cooling solution needs to dissipate to prevent overheating. TDP/TBP is usually specified by the manufacturer and is used to design the cooling solution for the processor or GPU. A higher TDP/TBP usually indicates a more powerful and higher-performing processor or GPU.

On the other hand, TGP (Total Graphics Power) is the total power consumption of the GPU, including the power used by the graphics core, memory, and other components on the graphics card. TGP includes the TDP/TBP of the GPU and the power used by other components on the graphics card, such as the memory modules, voltage regulation modules, and fans. TGP is also specified by the GPU manufacturer, and a higher TGP usually indicates a more powerful and higher-performing graphics card.

In summary, TDP/TBP refers to the maximum power consumption of the processor or GPU under normal operating conditions, while TGP refers to the total power consumption of the graphics card, including the GPU and other components on the card.

MY card for instance (blame hwinfo for color scheme)
iiVD7uh.jpg

The GPUs get adaptable TDP ranging from 35 to 80 watts which The RTX 3050 gets 2,048 shader cores and a base clock frequency hovering dynamically between 713 MHz, and 1530 MHz with a boost clock up-to to 1740 MHz.
The RTX 3050 Ti has a bit more power at 2560 shader cores clocking in up-to 1463 MHz with a boost up to 1,695 MHz.
Both SKUs will be tied to 4 GB of GDDR6 memory with a whopping of 88 GB/s bandwidth

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023
i was looking at tgp, not tdp. its how its measured on both charts.

TGP = Total Graphics Power. Its what the Nvidia control panel reported as 65watts
Sorry my bad, what I meant was TGP. But why are you showing the 3050 ti instead of 3050? And the psref link you provided belongs to a Legion 5 Pro, not the Ideapad 5 pro I was talking about.

I just want to make things clear.

Colif

Win 11 Master
But why are you showing the 3050 ti instead of 3050? And the psref link you provided belongs to a Legion 5 Pro, not the Ideapad 5 pro I was talking about.
i blame Lenovo as they have same code for both devices. I searched for 16ARH7 and I got that one. I didn't think to look at the names, I just assumed the 1st chart I showed was wrong... now I see it wasn't.

You lucky I found that one... this is silly
Ok4BptK.jpg

Both GPU have same ranges, yours being a 3050 makes sense now. Explains why its closer to max of a 80watt TGP 3050

Jun 2, 2023
Ok so we can summarize that this 3050 has the Maximum Clock of a 80w variant but it's TGP won't exceed 65w. Referring to the TGP chart above, Im thinking that the GPU was specially customized.

What do you say about this inconsistency?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its likely its working within the constraints of the cooling solution offered to it. It looks like they reduce their speed to increase battery life and reduce heat.

So yes, its probably set to run slower.

3050 chart
SR3YsgL.jpg

looking at that chart, if its hitting 1747 on hwinfo it has to be running at 80. the max it shows on HWINFO is today, it restarts on startup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Ferrari
Solution