Question Strange screen "glitch" while gaming

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Not quite sure where to post this, as I have no idea where the lissue lies.
Attaching an Imgur link, as this is difficult to explain with words:
View: https://imgur.com/a/6lMMSoF

Was just gaming as usual and suddenly, the screen completely freaks out. Never seen anything like it before. I had to restart the pc using the power button, no issues since. Does anyone have a clue as to what could have caused this?

PC specs:
  • Ryzen 5 5600
  • RX 6700XT
  • 16 gb DDR4 @3000mhz
  • MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium

Display: 1080p 144hz.

Not quite sure where to post this, as I have no idea where the lissue lies.
Attaching an Imgur link, as this is difficult to explain with words:
View: https://imgur.com/a/6lMMSoF

Was just gaming as usual and suddenly, the screen completely freaks out. Never seen anything like it before. I had to restart the pc using the power button, no issues since. Does anyone have a clue as to what could have caused this?

PC specs:
  • Ryzen 5 5600
  • RX 6700XT
  • 16 gb DDR4 @3000mhz
  • MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium

Display: 1080p 144hz.
That resembles a ram issue or storage issue... As one or the other is failing to compile the info being pushed through it it causes the system to glitch just like this.... I would run memtest86 and check the health status of all storage drives

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Alright. Checked all drives with chkdsk in cmd, if that's what you had in mind. No problems there, according to Windows. Will run memtest86 when I have time, though I'm not sure I have a flash drive at hand. Would an external hdd work?

By the way, not long after this incident, I ran into more problems. Once, the screen went black (didn't turn off, just black pixels), and I had to restart. Then, not long after, the pc shut down and rebooted while in a game. Do these also sound like symptoms of memory failure to you?

Alright. Checked all drives with chkdsk in cmd, if that's what you had in mind. No problems there, according to Windows. Will run memtest86 when I have time, though I'm not sure I have a flash drive at hand. Would an external hdd work?

By the way, not long after this incident, I ran into more problems. Once, the screen went black (didn't turn off, just black pixels), and I had to restart. Then, not long after, the pc shut down and rebooted while in a game. Do these also sound like symptoms of memory failure to you?
This is starting to sound more like a failing psu, and the problems your describing if it's a psu I would stop using the system untill replaced. It will fry the components if this keeps up.... Unsteady power will mimic the ram and storage issue

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
This is starting to sound more like a failing psu, and the problems your describing if it's a psu I would stop using the system untill replaced. It will fry the components if this keeps up.... Unsteady power will mimic the ram and storage issue

Aw man :(
Does it mean anything that I ran a few benchmarks earlier (after the problems I mentioned) and had no issues? One would think that's when the pc would shut down if it was the psu, right?
If the psu indeed is failing, I wonder if this is just a big coincidence, or if it has something to with my recent switch from an RX580 to a 6700xt. My psu is a 550W Seasonic Focus+ Gold, which I know is on the low side for a 6700xt. With some undervolting though, this card doesn't draw any more power than my old one, so it really doesn't make sense to me. It has been working without issue for almost a week now. It's supposed to be a good quality psu as well, 10 year warranty.

Aw man :(
Does it mean anything that I ran a few benchmarks earlier (after the problems I mentioned) and had no issues? One would think that's when the pc would shut down if it was the psu, right?
If the psu indeed is failing, I wonder if this is just a big coincidence, or if it has something to with my recent switch from an RX580 to a 6700xt. My psu is a 550W Seasonic Focus+ Gold, which I know is on the low side for a 6700xt. With some undervolting though, this card doesn't draw any more power than my old one, so it really doesn't make sense to me. It has been working without issue for almost a week now. It's supposed to be a good quality psu as well, 10 year warranty.
Yep there it is..... You need a stronger and more reliable psu for such an extreme card it may not be the world's most extreme jump in GPUs but the difference between the two is enough to screw with the psu you have

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Yep there it is..... You need a stronger and more reliable psu for such an extreme card it may not be the world's most extreme jump in GPUs but the difference between the two is enough to screw with the psu you have

As mentioned, with the undervolt I have been using it at, it draws the same or less power than my old card. How can it still cause the psu to fail? The benchmark I mentioned too, why didn't it shut down then? I've also heard of people running 6700xt's on 550W without problems for longer periods of time. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just confused ane trying to understand... :/

As mentioned, with the undervolt I have been using it at, it draws the same or less power than my old card. How can it still cause the psu to fail? The benchmark I mentioned too, why didn't it shut down then? I've also heard of people running 6700xt's on 550W without problems for longer periods of time. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just confused ane trying to understand... :/
Different psu use different caps... These caps all hold a different amount of charge to them if one gets over depleted then it cause the psu to power cycle super fast to regain it sounds like your psu isnt able to recharge the caps as fast as they disapate people using 550w psu on these cards are asking to fry them.... I think the minimum psu they recommend for the card and full setup is a min of 650w a 100 more then what you have the recommended recommend for a card like that for a full system is generally 850w that way there's wiggle room for extreme power spikes

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Different psu use different caps... These caps all hold a different amount of charge to them if one gets over depleted then it cause the psu to power cycle super fast to regain it sounds like your psu isnt able to recharge the caps as fast as they disapate people using 550w psu on these cards are asking to fry them.... I think the minimum psu they recommend for the card and full setup is a min of 650w a 100 more then what you have the recommended recommend for a card like that for a full system is generally 850w that way there's wiggle room for extreme power spikes
I guess that makes sense. I'll probably listen to your advice and get a 750 or 850W unit ASAP, I guess it was time for an upgrade anyways. Do you think there is permanent damage to the power supply I have, if it's failing? I really appreciate you helping me out here btw.

I guess that makes sense. I'll probably listen to your advice and get a 750 or 850W unit ASAP, I guess it was time for an upgrade anyways. Do you think there is permanent damage to the power supply I have, if it's failing? I really appreciate you helping me out here btw.
No if it's just the caps being maxed out, the psu shouldn't be damaged. However if it is old and just starting slowly die out. Then reusing it wouldn't really be worth the risk.

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Is this a brand new 6700xt. Looks more like failing VRAM to me.
It is not, its a little over a year old. Bought it from a guy who had barely used it, it was like new, at least appearance-wise. I upgraded the psu today and haven't ran into any issues so far. Have tried a bunch of games, including the one that caused this. So far so good...

Reactions: drivinfast247

TRENDING THREADS