Question Strange Signal Loss

Dec 4, 2022
My laptop can use my UHD TV as an external monitor just fine. However, every UHD PC Monitor I've tested will experience frequent yet random Signal Loss. I have tried this with Dell, HP, MSI & Samsung monitors and all have the Signal Loss issue. How/Why would this occur and are there any solutions?

Laptop: HP ENVY 17-ch1xxx
Processor: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1195G7
Graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd start by making sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version, then see if the OS is pending any updates. Following that, I'd use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall the latest driver off of Intel's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Odd question though, have you tried working with different cables? It'd be a good idea to include a list of all the make and models of panels you've tried unsuccessfully to get display onto. helps us find a pattern, if there are any.

Dec 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd start by making sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version, then see if the OS is pending any updates. Following that, I'd use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall the latest driver off of Intel's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Odd question though, have you tried working with different cables? It'd be a good idea to include a list of all the make and models of panels you've tried unsuccessfully to get display onto. helps us find a pattern, if there are any.

Thanks for the welcoming!

I have spoken with HP, Intel, & Microsoft but none were able to determine how this issue could occur. However, Intel has looked further into it than the others and is continuing it's investigation.

BIOS appears to be current & OS is up to date as well as the drivers. I've done a clean install for the GPU multiple times with & without an internet connection to avoid auto updates. I did so manually and also by using Intel's software & instructions.

I have of course used different cables, those that came with the monitors and a variety of my collection :)

My list of external displays are below:

TVs (Both Work):
Make: Sony - 65" Class X900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV
Model: XBR65X900H
Make: Vizio M60-C3
Model: M60-C3

Monitors (All have Signal Loss):
Make: Samsung - 28” 4K UHD IPS AMD FreeSync HDR Monitor
Model: U28R550UQNXZA
Make: MSI G281UV, 28" Gaming Monitor, 3840 x 2160 (UHD), IPS, 1ms, 60Hz, FreeSync, HDR Ready, HDMI, Displayport, Tilt
Model: ‎Optix G281UV
Make: Same as #2
Model: Same as #2
# 4
Make: Dell S2721QS 27 Inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Ultra-Thin Bezel Monitor, AMD FreeSync (HDMI, DisplayPort), VESA Certified, Silver
Model: S2721QS
#5 (FHD not UHD)
Make: HP - 27" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor (2 x HDMI, VGA) - Silver and Black
Model: m27f

This morning, I brought in a second laptop to test my Samsung monitor and a Signal Loss didn't happen within a few minutes. I switched back to my original laptop and the Signal Loss has not occurred again and its been approximately 30 minutes. Not only can I not find a pattern but now my mind is even more clouded as to how this could occur :p

Dec 4, 2022
When the display goes black, whst does the Windows display settings show for resolution and refresh rate?

It's been occurring with UHD (3840x2160) & FHD (1920x1080) and both 60/30hz. 60hz is the default but I have also set it to 30hz with the Signal Loss still occurring.

I have pulled out the MSI monitor again and the Signal Loss still is not occurring today but nothing has changed since last night when the issue was still occurring. I have even ran a video game to raise the laptops temperature but again, the Signal Loss has not occurred today.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
It's been occurring with UHD (3840x2160) & FHD (1920x1080) and both 60/30hz. 60hz is the default but I have also set it to 30hz with the Signal Loss still occurring.

I have pulled out the MSI monitor again and the Signal Loss still is not occurring today but nothing has changed since last night when the issue was still occurring. I have even ran a video game to raise the laptops temperature but again, the Signal Loss has not occurred today.

I believe I may have just accidentally discovered what may be associated with the Signal Loss... The laptop's power supply! I almost always leave the power supply plugged in but with all the transportation I've been doing while trying to resolve the issue I forgot to plug it in and the battery died. I plugged the power supply in and the Signal Loss returned for the first time today and was occurring about every 5-30 seconds. After letting the laptop's battery charge for a little bit I unplugged the power supply and the Signal Loss stopped and hasn't returned... yet. If the power supply is causing the issue does anyone know how/why and any resolutions apart from not using the monitor while the laptop is using the power supply?

However, remember that when using a UHD TV as an external monitor the Signal Loss does not occur even when the laptop's power supply is being used.