[SOLVED] Strange sound after connecting fans

Nov 14, 2020
Hello I have a really odd issue going on with my pc fans!

I bought a new pc case and it came with 3 installed fans, 2 in the front 1 in the back. The pc was basically silent while not under load.
Then I decided to add a 3rd front fan to the case because I already had it so why not. Ever since adding the extra fan the pc started this really faint, but noticeable sound, the best way I can describe it is like a truck engine running but like quite far away, it's not a loud sound. Sort of a rhythmic low rumble.

I immediately thought it must be the new fan I connected so I just unplugged it. The sound continued.

To my surprise now whatever fan I leave on, could be any of the front ones, or just the back one, the pc makes that noise, and it seems to come from the fan itself. The only way to stop it is to unplug all 4 fans.

I'm at a loss as to what can cause it. I checked for loose cables that might be rattling didn't find any. I also checked for loose screws but they are all tightly in. I tried to see if any of the fans would wiggle but they all seem to be firmly in place.

Like I said the noise isn't very loud, but since it's new it bothers me a lot!

Any suggestions of things that I could check for are appreciated,
Thanks!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard and how the fans in your platform are connected? You might want to see if a BIOS update is available for your platform and if you can tweak the fan profile in BIOS or the board's utility app provided that the fans are connected to the board and now via a molex or sata power plug.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard and how the fans in your platform are connected? You might want to see if a BIOS update is available for your platform and if you can tweak the fan profile in BIOS or the board's utility app provided that the fans are connected to the board and now via a molex or sata power plug.

Solution
Nov 14, 2020
Hello
I had the fans connected to the mb originally but one of the first things I tried was to use the hub included with the case. It didn't change anything.
I'm using a x570 unify from msi

Nov 14, 2020
Quick update!
I have no idea how (lol) but after trying to figure out what was making the noise it suddenly stoped. I guess some cable or whatever it was in the back of the case moved a bit just from me messing around in the case and it's all good again!