[SOLVED] Strange sound inside PC ?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi,

I have this really random and weird "clunking" sound on my PC. I can't tell what this is. I do have an AIO 360rad. Could the pump not be working?

Video here

X-570e Strix
RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB DDR4 G.Skill RGB
Corsair 850 Plat

Solution
That sounds like a stuck HDD header. If you do have an HDD on that machine, this is bad news, backup anything important and prepare to replace it soon.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can use a piece of paper roll it into a tube put one end near your ear and move other end towards the srouce of the sound to poinpoint it.

Do you have a hard disk in the system? As said above, sounds like a hard disk actuator/head.

You can use software like HD Tune or HD Sentinel to check the SMART (health) data of the disk. They won't show whether the head is stuck or why but if there's no activity or there's odd behavior it will show. Backup important/irreplacable files ASAP.

If it was pump not working you should have higher temps at idle and under load. What are the temps like?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
That sounds like a stuck HDD header. If you do have an HDD on that machine, this is bad news, backup anything important and prepare to replace it soon.
Oh wow, I had no clue. This has been going on for months. Thank you so much for telling me. I will try and back it up immediately. I have a LOT of school documents and legal documents.

Reactions: Murissokah

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
You can use a piece of paper roll it into a tube put one end near your ear and move other end towards the srouce of the sound to poinpoint it.

Do you have a hard disk in the system? As said above, sounds like a hard disk actuator/head.

You can use software like HD Tune or HD Sentinel to check the SMART (health) data of the disk. They won't show whether the head is stuck or why but if there's no activity or there's odd behavior it will show. Backup important/irreplacable files ASAP.

If it was pump not working you should have higher temps at idle and under load. What are the temps like?
I do have an HDD and I am currently moving it all to a 3TB SSD.

Temps are fine. I just thought it would be pump trying to turn itself on or like fans trying to, but I guess it's a HDD issue. I appreciate the information. I would have been so upset.

Reactions: Satan-IR