Question Strange SSD behavior ?

Valyndiir

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
I have a Z600 workstation with some upgrades, one of which is a 1TB Samsung Evo 870 and it works fine, running Win10, it's my main computer. I picked up an old HP Envy i7 7th gen, with what I think is a dead M.2 drive; this is not the issue that concerns me, I just didn't have an M.2 drive sitting around with an OS on it. I stuck a Western Digital Blue NAND 500GB SSD into it running Win10, no problem, booted and ran fine.

The M.2 drive wouldn't mount, clearly DOA, but I didn't mess with that part much, I just wanted to see if the rig worked at all. I thought "hey this is a little speedier than my 10-year old workstation lets stick my Evo in and start playing around with it. Well, when I attempt to boot the HP Envy with the Evo installed I immediately got what looked like fragments of HP's bios sort of slapped in chunks at the top of the screen. If anyone has -any- idea as to why one SSD worked and another did not, being that they are roughly the same tech using the same port, please chime in.

I have no idea where to go with this. I do happen to have a second 1 TB Evo 870 in my laptop that I could pull and test to see if there is any difference, but I do not see much justification to do that work just yet. Also if you want a photo of what it looks like I can provide it. Thank you for taking the time to read.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Z600 workstation with some upgrades, one of which is a 1TB Samsung Evo 870 and it works fine, running Win10, it's my main computer. I picked up an old HP Envy i7 7th gen, with what I think is a dead M.2 drive; this is not the issue that concerns me, I just didn't have an M.2 drive sitting around with an OS on it. I stuck a Western Digital Blue NAND 500GB SSD into it running Win10, no problem, booted and ran fine.

The M.2 drive wouldn't mount, clearly DOA, but I didn't mess with that part much, I just wanted to see if the rig worked at all. I thought "hey this is a little speedier than my 10-year old workstation lets stick my Evo in and start playing around with it. Well, when I attempt to boot the HP Envy with the Evo installed I immediately got what looked like fragments of HP's bios sort of slapped in chunks at the top of the screen. If anyone has -any- idea as to why one SSD worked and another did not, being that they are roughly the same tech using the same port, please chime in.

I have no idea where to go with this. I do happen to have a second 1 TB Evo 870 in my laptop that I could pull and test to see if there is any difference, but I do not see much justification to do that work just yet. Also if you want a photo of what it looks like I can provide it. Thank you for taking the time to read.
There is never a guarantee that a disk pre-loaded with the OS from a different hardware computer will work at all in a different computer. You got lucky that one worked.

Valyndiir

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
There is never a guarantee that a disk pre-loaded with the OS from a different hardware computer will work at all in a different computer. You got lucky that one worked.
I should clarify the machine does not load through bios. It is immediately scrambled. This seems like a hardware problem and not software.

TRENDING THREADS