Strange start-stop-start during power up

GreenElan

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi everyone,

This is brand new build. Nothing is has been manually overclocked.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL)
i5 2500K
Corsair HX750
EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
USB Razer Imperator Mouse
USB Logitech G15 Keyboard

Here's the problem: when I hit the power button, the computer seems to start up normally, for about 1.5 seconds. Then, without pause, the system seemingly shuts off. After 3-4 seconds, it starts back up again flawlessly. I load up into Windows without any issue. I haven't attempted to OC yet, and after the machine starts up, there aren't any problems.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Common problem with Sandy Bridge boards for some reason. My ASUS used to do it to. However, once I entered the BIOS and got every thing set, turned off all the extra ports and stuff I was not using, it stopped. I also updated my BIOS to the newest revision (not beta) and that seemed to help as well.

GreenElan

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Thank you for the reply! What do you mean by "turned off all the extra ports"?

I'm a little wary about updating my BIOS. I'm not a terribly experienced builder, so after reading the Gigabyte thread in this forum, I'd just as soon shoot myself in the face than deal with the nightmare of a botched BIOS update.

Of course, if the problem can be solved by tinkering with the current settings (without updating BIOS) in BIOS, I'm comfortable with that.

Thank you!

You can disable all the extra SATA ports you are not using, and certain other devices.
Look for items that are set to "AUTO", that you know you do not use, that can be set to "disabled". This keeps the board from searching for devices you may not even have hooked up during boot. Make sure the OS drive is set as the primary boot device, and nothing else.