[SOLVED] Strange switch on gtx 750 ti

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I recently bought a (Used: like new) gtx 750 ti 2GB OC and when I went to dust it i noticed a strange switch labeled 1 and 2 toward the front of the card and wanted to know what it is.

Solution
It's information I've researched (as always do before replying, unless I know for sure already).

The switch doesn't do anything to the motherboard BIOS. It simply flips the VBIOS of the card to be compatible with whichever BIOS type the host motherboard has (ie legacy or UEFI).

The VBIOS switch is unique to some 750 Ti cards and is an officially undocumented feature it seems.

Of course there will be switches on other graphics cards but they will perform totally different functions such as those you've mentioned.

I hope this clears things up.
It's the compatibility switch for motherboard BIOS (ie legacy BIOS or UEFI).

Dear Phillip Corcoran,

Do GPUs really have such kind of SWITCH ? I mean that's a Motherboard option, UEFI vs LEGACY mode. So some of the cards also have this option to switch the BIOS on the fly ?

I thought the switches on any GPU, are either used to flip between Gaming or MINING Mode, or Normal clock speed Mode vs Overclocked/OC Mode ? I think some even have a BACKUP VBIOS option ?

Not sure though.......

It's information I've researched (as always do before replying, unless I know for sure already).

The switch doesn't do anything to the motherboard BIOS. It simply flips the VBIOS of the card to be compatible with whichever BIOS type the host motherboard has (ie legacy or UEFI).

The VBIOS switch is unique to some 750 Ti cards and is an officially undocumented feature it seems.

Of course there will be switches on other graphics cards but they will perform totally different functions such as those you've mentioned.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution

OK....Thanks for the clarification....Didn't mean to say you posted some misinformation though....Just wanted to clarify my doubt....I will note this feature, as this is new to me....Just Learned again something new today, lol.

Yeah, I know this. Obviously it would be related to the Motherboard's BIOS option, because most mobos have Legacy vs UEFI mode.. I was just wondering how come such a switch comes with a GPU, hence my question.....This is actually a good thing though, IMO.....I hope more GPU models come with such an option, if someone is using an older motherboard..

Yes indeed... :D Thanks again for your explanation.