Strange temps with the Stock i9900k (Exceeding 100C)

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
At Idle my temps hover between 35C to 42C but will often rise to 45C to 50C even though I am not actually doing anything on my computer.

During games like Fortnite and Overwatch my temps will hover between 65C to 75C but will often rise to around 80C (especially in Fortnite).

However recently, I have noticed that my temps will occasionally spike to around 92C for a couple of seconds and then drop back down to 65 to 75C whilst I am playing games. Loading into Dishonored 2 caused my CPU to exceed 100C for a second.

Spec:
Mobo - Asus Maxiumus XI Hero
CPU - i9 9900K stock
GPU - MSi GTX 1080Ti
Cooler - H115i (the old one not the RGB one) The pump is running at 3000 RPM.
Case - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE with the radiator mounted at the top in push config. Radiator fans are plugged into the motherboard while all the other fans are connected to the corsair commander pro and running around 1600 RPM

Vcore is on Auto on my motherboard which means the voltage on all cores is about 1.2V all the time.
The CPU is constantly at 4.7Ghz but I think that is just turbo.

Another thing is my cooler was making a clicking noise which I thought was an air pocket. The noise went away after I tilted my case to around 45 degrees. Video contains similar noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyIHBmwsgb0

GPU temps are fine and my motherboard is always 29C.

I don't know why my temps are so erratic.

I am using HWMonitor to measure temps, clock speed and voltage.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

UPDATE:
It was the pump, After replacing the pump for the exact same one. Temps dropped to 29C at idle and don't top 70C during a CPU stress test. Even after overclocking it to 5Ghz, the temps only change by +1C or +2C at idle and at 100% load.

Solution
Core voltage is too high for stock. VID is an approximation of how much voltage the processor needs for stability. I would drop the Vcore to 1.180 then repeat the CPU-Z test.

rustigsmed

Distinguished
Sorry the asus z390 boards have let the ROG team down this time and have under performing VRM's. You really need a quality cpu cooler to compensate for it.

yes it doesn't look great but your 9900k is technically performing within spec so no warranty returns for you..

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

Isn’t the h115i good enough?

rustigsmed

Distinguished

these are hot 8 core chips... and asus have decided to cheap out on the vrm's on this chipset... (hey i loved my old maximus hero vii for my 4790k - i like asus and their bios).
if i were you, i'd go into the bios and set your own voltage and clock speeds - you will probably see a large improvement in temps.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

haganmking,

Q: What is your ambient (room) temperature? Normal or "standard" is 22°C or 72°F.

Q: How old is your H115i? As AIO's age, performance degrades due to contaminates from galvanic corrosion (aluminum & copper) and bio-growth that accumulate in the water block and radiator.

The thermal behavior you've described is normal and expected for 7th, 8th and 9th Generation processors, and is unrelated to VRM's.

Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in load.

Intel’s specification for DTS (Digital Thermal Sensors) response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which can also cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are implementing BIOS updates that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Gaming generally averages around 55°C, yet can range from 40°C to 70°C or more, depending on how a particular gaming title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in cooling performance and Ambient temperature.

You might want to read this: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

Thanks for the information. But I fear that I am outside of this optimal range. The average for any games I play is around 70C and even things like downloading a file of the internet can cause my temperature to rise to between 50C and 60C. Booting up my computer a minute ago caused 4 of the 8 cores to exceed 100C while the other 4 hovered around 99C. Luckily after a few minutes all the cores are back down to 35C to 42C. Is this normal?

To answer your question, at midday the temp in my room is around 21C

Could it be the coolers fault?

rustigsmed

Distinguished

set your voltage to 1.3v and all core to 4.7ghz - if you know how to work the bios. better yet watch debauer's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM ) on overclocking the 9900k he uses an asus mobo as well.
yes temp spikes happen, yours seems a bit high - as i said due to the poor mobo's vrm and perhaps the bios settings which may have voltage running high / which affects temps.

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

So I did what you said. Followed the tutorial and set all cores to 4.7Ghz. Had to set power CPU current capability to 170% as the bios had hidden 200%. It posted everything was fine. So i ran cinebench and immediately. The temp went to 100C and throttled meaning I only got a score of 1263.

My Idle temps have changed. Now they are 47C.

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
Q: Have you checked Task Manager for unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services causing high CPU utilization and spiking?
According to task manager the CPU utilization was about 20% on start up when the temps peaked at 100C

Q: Since Intel's specification for "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, how far do the Cores "exceed" or "overshoot" 100°C?
Only about 1C or 2C above 100C

Q: How old is your H115i? As AIO's age, performance degrades due to contaminates from galvanic corrosion (aluminum & copper) and bio-growth that accumulate in the water block and radiator.
Its less that 2 years old - Its about 1.75 years old.

Q: Are the fans and radiator free of dust?
Yes, both are

Q: Have you tried reapplying thermal compound and re-seating the pump?
No I haven't. I built this system about a month ago - but realized that the the CPU was never turboing because a setting in the BIOS had disabled that. I turned that setting off this weekend and that's when I was getting these high temps.

Q: Are you running the latest BIOS?
Yes

Q: Have you actually monitored Core voltage during a steady-state (non-fluctuating) workload using CPU-Z "Stress CPU" located under the "Bench" tab?
It was 1.2V all the time when running Cinebench. And remained 1.3V just now when I over clocked it, when I ran cinebench.
So I just ran cinebench with the OC again and got 100C immediately - VCore is at 1.270 constantly while VID on each core was limited to 1.179.

Q: Have you given any thought to minimizing Core voltage using manual settings in BIOS?
No, I may try that but will it limit performance.

CT :sol:[/quotemsg]

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Since you originally stated that your Core voltage was set to 1.2, of course, increasing the Core voltage can only result in higher Core temperatures.

It looks like your sustained Core temperatures are somewhat high but reasonable.

Obviously, your primary concern is the temperature spikes. A faulty cooler or high Core voltage causes high Core temperatures; not spiking problems. Spiking is caused by brief software activity. The purpose of "Speed Shift" is to execute the task and return to idle as quickly as possible to save energy. The less software activity running in background, the less spiking you'll have.

Spiking can be minimized by cleaning up software and "tray trash" but not eliminated. "Peak" temperatures during spiking events can be minimized by improving cooling, reducing Core voltage or by more aggressive measures such as delidding; any or all of which will also reduce Core temperatures. Lower Core temperatures means lower peaks during spiking.

Q: Have you checked Task Manager for unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services causing high CPU utilization and spiking?

As I explained in my above post, spiking is normal and expected. All processors have fluctuations in Core temperatures as workloads change, but rapid and extreme spiking is normal and expected among 7th, 8th and 9th Generation CPU's due to Speed Shift, as shown in the chart.

Q: Since Intel's specification for "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, how far do the Cores "exceed" or "overshoot" 100°C?

Q: How old is your H115i? As AIO's age, performance degrades due to contaminates from galvanic corrosion (aluminum & copper) and bio-growth that accumulates in the water block and radiator.

Q: Are the fans and radiator free of dust?

Q: Have you tried reapplying thermal compound and re-seating the pump?

Q: Are you running the latest BIOS?

Q: Have you actually monitored Core voltage during a steady-state (non-fluctuating) workload using CPU-Z "Stress CPU" located under the "Bench" tab?

Q: Have you given any thought to minimizing Core voltage using manual settings in BIOS?

rustigsmed

Distinguished

ok - now we have a baseline - it is difficult to tell what is happening with modern bios auto settings. you definitely have a problem.
I think you have a physical issue.
most likely;
-how the cooler is mounted (inadequate contact and or thermal paste) - definitely take off and reapply thermal compound.
- inadequate AIO operation (pump/ageing)
are the most likely issues.

note that the spikes are still in temp spec, it just is not optimal. that is a very low cinebench score - i just did a quick check on mine now and got a 2152 at 1.3v.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Q 1: Have you checked Task Manager for unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services causing high CPU utilization and spiking?

Q 2: Since Intel's specification for "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, how far do the Cores "exceed" or "overshoot" 100°C?

Q 3: How old is your H115i? As AIO's age, performance degrades due to contaminates from galvanic corrosion (aluminum & copper) and bio-growth that accumulate in the water block and radiator.

Q 4: Are the fans and radiator free of dust?

Q 5: Have you tried reapplying thermal compound and re-seating the pump?

Q 6: Are you running the latest BIOS?

Q 7: Have you actually monitored Core voltage during a steady-state (non-fluctuating) workload using CPU-Z "Stress CPU" located under the "Bench" tab?

Q 8: Have you given any thought to minimizing Core voltage using manual settings in BIOS?

Thank you for answering all my questions ... that's very revealing and gives us the big picture. So let's summarize what we have so far:

Questions 3, 5, 7 and 8 are key to solving this problem.

#3 = AIO's are notorious for degradation due to partial or complete blockages, or premature pump failure. Many fail within their 1st year, while a seemingly small percentage actually reach the end of their warranty period.

#5 - It's always advisable as a 1st step, to reapply thermal compound and re-seat the pump just to rule out that nothing has been overlooked.

#7 - Cinebench is a fluctuating workload, which is best suited for it's intended purpose as a benchmark. A steady-state workload with steady Core temperatures is instead better suited for testing thermal performance because a steady workload will not cause the Core voltage to fluctuate.

#8 - Even if you don't intend to overclock, minimizing Core voltage will give you the lowest possible Core temperatures while maintaining stability. The procedure is very similar to that which is used for overclocking, except you're not changing Core speed.

I recommend that you perform the following steps in this order:

1st: Reapply thermal compound and re-seat the pump so we can rule this out as an unknown variable.

2nd: Run CPU-Z "Stress CPU" which is located under the "Bench" tab. This is a steady-state 80% workload that'll give us a baseline for steady Core voltage and steady Core temperatures.

3rd: If Core temperatures are still too high, then manually minimize Core voltage at stock Core speed settings in BIOS, then repeat the 2nd step.

4th: If Core temperatures are still too high, then RMA your H115i. Corsair honors their 5 year warranty and will typically replace the unit without difficulty.

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

So I did what you said and took off the heatsink, washed off the thermal paste and reapplied more and put it back together. I used paper towels, q tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol (I know I should use coffee filters but I don't have any).

I did notice however that the heatsink was covered in some marks that wasn't thermal paste as it didn't come out with the isopropyl. It kind of looks scratched but I don't think the marks would be black if it was just scratches. I noticed this about a month ago but thought nothing of it as it was under the preapplied thermal paste. The rectangular mark is the reflection of my phone.

25irk3a.jpg

After putting everything back. The temps at idle remained the same as before (48C). I did the CPU Z stress test and went to 100C almost immediately. VCore was at 1.3V and VID on each core was 1.17V.

Because of the heatsink, I don't think it is covered by warranty. I am not sure what caused the marks.

I think I am going to have to buy another cooler, any recommendations??
In the mean time I think I am going to disable turbo and reverse my OC. Because I was getting a max of about 65C back then.

I though I might add, the water temp as reported by ICue is 37.5C at idle

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

So I did what you said and took off the heatsink, washed off the thermal paste and reapplied more and put it back together. I used paper towels, q tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol (I know I should use coffee filters but I don't have any).

I did notice however that the heatsink was covered in some marks that wasn't thermal paste as it didn't come out with the isopropyl. It kind of looks scratched but I don't think the marks would be black if it was just scratches. I noticed this about a month ago but thought nothing of it as it was under the preapplied thermal paste. The rectangular mark is the reflection of my phone.

25irk3a.jpg

I think I am going to have to buy another cooler, any recommendations??
In the mean time I think I am going to disable turbo and reverse my OC. Because I was getting a max of about 65C back then.

I though I might add, the water temp as reported by ICue is 37.5C at idle

haganmking

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018

It won't affect temps at all??
Ok ill try and RMA it. Is there anyway to definitely know if it is a flow problem? Because on my previous build were amazing. Granted it was a different CPU.

I think the problem started to happen after I changed my system.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Core voltage is too high for stock. VID is an approximation of how much voltage the processor needs for stability. I would drop the Vcore to 1.180 then repeat the CPU-Z test.

Those scuffs and blemishes have only a negligible effect (maybe a degree or two) on load temperatures. No one's AIO water block looks factory perfect after being mounted and removed. Corsair will most likely approve and process your RMA. I would definitely send it in; the worst they can do is deny your claim, so there's nothing to lose by trying.

That makes sense. There's most likely a flow problem due to a probable blockage, which is fairly typical for a unit nearly two years old. Many AIO's fail well within that time frame. A very small percentage make it 3 or 4 years, let alone 5 years. It depends largely on runtime hours; just a few hours per day, or 24/7 usage?

Apart from the potential for a coolant leak, there are four problems common to AIO's:

(1) All AIO's will eventually fail. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when. Pumps can have component failures in the electronics that drive the impeller, which is a moving part that can wear out, so those which run 24/7/365 are prone to premature failure. AIO units are notorious for failures due to inferior pump quality, whereas custom loops typically use high-end pumps which have greater longevity.

(2) Coolant can slowly evaporate over time due to "permeation". However unlikely it may seem, coolant can actually dissipate directly through the tubes. This can introduce bubbles into the impeller chamber which can cause it to "cavitate", thereby reducing or interrupting coolant flow.

(3) AIO's are sealed Closed Loop Coolers (CLC), which unlike custom loops, are not designed to be disassembled for the water block and impeller to be flushed, cleaned of bio-contaminants and radiator sediments, then refilled. Bio-contaminants gradually accumulate over time and will eventually clog the water block and radiator tubes, thereby reducing flow and thermal efficiency. This is evidenced by Core temperatures that slowly increase over periods of several months to a few years.

(4) Also unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediments that accumulate over time, resulting in blockages and flow problems. Even new AIO's may contain radiator sediments due to inadequate flushing after manufacturing. Experienced builders of custom loops will always thoroughly flush brand-new radiators. Flux, solder and metal fragments are typically found in the flush water when it's poured through a strainer.

For no apparent reason ... OR ... by simply installing, moving, tipping, handling or otherwise disturbing a NEW OR OLD unit, particles can become dislodged, whereupon the next power-up, the now free-floating particles can circulate into the impeller chamber and restrict or completely stop the impeller. Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the stator (no direct shaft), the unit may "appear" that it's running while the impeller is restricted or stalled. "Hearing" the unit running or "feeling" vibration can be deceiving as it does not necessarily indicate flow, nor does Pump RPM in BIOS or various software utilities. Pump vibration is often mistaken for fan vibration which can "telegraph" throughout the entire AIO unit.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to confirm. Under normal operation, even with the CPU at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, or the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it indicates little to no flow. Surface temperatures can be verified with an infrared (IR) thermometer.

• Since your AIO is nearly 2 years old, it's highly likely that bio-contaminants and particles from galvanic corrosion are impeding coolant flow.

Fortunately, Corsair has a five year warranty, which much to their credit, they honor without difficulty. I suggest that you submit an RMA request for a warranty replacement cooler. In the interim, a backup air cooler should suffice.

Solution