[SOLVED] Strange thermals on Intel Core i5-12600K

Dec 4, 2021
I havent really built a PC in years (was on intel gen 3) so I am not really sure how CPU temps "work" on modern pc's but my cpu temps under load seem really random.

I am using Intel Core i5-12600K on ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A, Stock bios settings (too acared to fiddle)
I am using a ek Supremacy Evo with 2x triple rads (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-evo-full-nickel)

the system idles at about 22 degrees all seems fine.

however when I bench the CPU or put some load on with cinebench etc it instantly jumps to 55-58 degrees on P cores and 45-50 degrees on E-cores.
this happens within the space of 1-2 seconds?

then it just sort of .... sits there at 58 degrees even on 20-30 min tests

This seems really high for watercooling? my radiators and cpu block arn't even warm?

the second the load comes off temps drop back down to 22 degrees? this seems very sudden?

is this bad thermal paste contact(I did put alot on), or do 12th gen cpus just.... run at almost 60 degrees?

should I try re-applying thermal paste?

Solution
For the better part of 10 years now, when CPUs are at 800-1000 MHz and under no load, their temps are 28-35C or so...

When a processing load is applied, the clock speed instantly goes to max, and temp (on my 7700K example)can /will spike in unison from 33C to 69-70C in 1/16 second. (Let's just agree to call it 'pretty much instantly')

All normal...
Those temps looks very good. Sudden jumps do look strange but maybe it has something to do with the new CPU architecture, maybe its supposed to look that way. 12th gen is too fresh so we don't have much data yet. But I don't really see anything that should worry you.

I havent really built a PC in years (was on intel gen 3) so I am not really sure how CPU temps "work" on modern pc's but my cpu temps under load seem really random.

I am using Intel Core i5-12600K on ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A, Stock bios settings (too acared to fiddle)
I am using a ek Supremacy Evo with 2x triple rads (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-evo-full-nickel)

the system idles at about 22 degrees all seems fine.

however when I bench the CPU or put some load on with cinebench etc it instantly jumps to 55-58 degrees on P cores and 45-50 degrees on E-cores.
this happens within the space of 1-2 seconds?

then it just sort of .... sits there at 58 degrees even on 20-30 min tests

This seems really high for watercooling? my radiators and cpu block arn't even warm?

the second the load comes off temps drop back down to 22 degrees? this seems very sudden?

is this bad thermal paste contact(I did put alot on), or do 12th gen cpus just.... run at almost 60 degrees?

should I try re-applying thermal paste?
What thermal paste did you use? Are you sure you got a good mount on the CPU? Are you using soft or hard tubing? I would hate to ask you to pull it and you are using hard tubing. The way new Intel CPUs boost is kinda nuts. So for the first 50-60 seconds they pull like 200w+ and wont drop it if temps are not an issue. Since you have a good water-cooling setup I would imagine it never leave this PL2 boosting state. You should really learn up on how new Intel CPUs boost so you can check motherboard settings and change them to your liking.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't seen 60C on a CPU under load in ages. I would say this is quite the achievement. My 4770k would regularly hit low high 70s with a 4.3Ghz overclock at 1.29 volts. My 7700k, delidded would reach the low 80s, but with a horrendous 1.416 volts across the cores (5Ghz). i9-10900F with the same dual 280mm radiators still hits the 70s, though I haven't spent much time tuning it. (That comes this weekend, replacing the Pump/Res/Rad and GPU block to see if I can get better GPU temps, pump is over 6 years old, so I thought it was time)

If you have 720mm worth of rad, it would take quite the delta for you to feel something. You should try measuring the air temperature at the intake and the exhaust. The air moving over your skin is probably making you think there is no change.

Still, most outlets were reporting mid 70s to low 80s with 280mm and 360mm AIO during testing.

Reactions: helper800
Dec 4, 2021
this is 60 seconds of cinebench

image hoster

the jump from 28 to 57 is 2 seconds.
water temp is also at 28 on pump.

perhaps this suddent leap in temp is the norm for these cpus? really hard to get much info online.

using flexible tube so I can retry thermal paste.... using a big dollop of thermal grizzle hydronaught.

For the better part of 10 years now, when CPUs are at 800-1000 MHz and under no load, their temps are 28-35C or so...

When a processing load is applied, the clock speed instantly goes to max, and temp (on my 7700K example)can /will spike in unison from 33C to 69-70C in 1/16 second. (Let's just agree to call it 'pretty much instantly')

All normal...

Solution