Strange USB Power Surges

Flixxy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hello all,

I have a strange problem. It's a slightly convoluted story, but I have skimped on details when seeking tech help before, and paid the price. So here is everything:

The basic problem currently is on my personal computer. The specs are:

Ryzen 1600 w/ stealth cooler
Gigabyte a320m hd2
8 gb 2400 ddr ram
GTX 1060 3gb
256 ADATA SSD
1 TB WD Blue
680 watt apevia psu
win 10 pro 64bit

The problem is that only two of the six rear USB ports work (two work fully, and a separate one only sometimes works), and regardless of if there is anything at all plugged into the USB ports, I am spammed with the message that a USB device is causing a power surge.

The strange backstory:

My personal computer has been running perfect for about 8 months (since it was built). I started building my father a new home PC, and decided to go with an AMD A8-9600 based system. Of course, the motherboard I ordered needed a BIOS update to support the APU, so I grabbed my trusty Ryzen 1600 out of my personal computer and plopped it in to install the update. Everything worked great on my dad's build. But, after it put my Ryzen 1600 back in my personal computer and turned it on, the USB error started happening. Here are the steps I've taken since (in the order that I remember doing them):

-Unplugging all USB devices (still thinks there's something causing a power surge?!)
-Uninstalling everything under USB controllers in device manager (my mouse which was plugged into the back of the computer stopped working. so i had to restart by pressing the power button on the case)
-Plugging in only certain USB devices (this is when I noticed only two and a half ports were working)
-Running in safe mode to see if the error was still present (it was)
-Opening the BIOS to test the USB power (problem still present)
-Replugging CPU power connector and motherboard power connect
-Reseating the CPU
-Unplugging the front panel internal USB connectors
-Updating motherboard drivers
-Cleaning CPU thermal paste and reapplying, and wiping around CPU on motherboard (didn't pick up any thermal paste from the board anyway :/)
-Reseating the CPU again
-Updating BIOS
-Quickly taking the CPU fan and back plate off to see if they're causing a strange short
-Punching a wall

The strangest part of this, is how my computer displays the power surge message. Instead of popping up and staying up, it keeps spamming me with dialogs that pop up for a half second then disappear for half a second, like the problem is occurring and then stopping then occurring in a very short time frame.

Does anyone think it is worth undoing all my work and fishing out my father's computer's board from the new build and seeing if it the problem continues when the motherboard is swapped? I feel like that's a lot of work if it seems unlikely, but will try it on request.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can send any extra information needed. Thanks a million for any comments or suggestions.