Question Strange video problem

AreeSoothsayer

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
I've looked all over but haven't seen an exact match to my problem.

Over the past few months my video will turn off. Monitor goes into sleep mode. Then the video starts back up on it's own. Monitor turns on. This happens like every 2-3 weeks. It can happen while watching a movie, reading comics on a website or the middle of gaming (like today). Most of the time it's a clean restart but twice the mouse shows up, stuff running in the background, but the screen is black. Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the restart stuff won't turn show up either. Both times I had to manually reset the pc. It starts up normally as such.

This is rare but REALLY ANNOYING.

Anyone know what's going on?

PS: Started after updating to windows 10, ran fine on windows 7

FX-4350 Quad core
Gigabyte 970A-ud3 Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 1050 Ti

AreeSoothsayer

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Yes, I have those. I tried the clean install using Guru 3d a couple weeks ago. Just a few seconds ago, 1h after a reboot, it did it's turn off and turn on deal. Temp was in the mid 40's C. So it wasn't overheating.
Power supply is fine, it runs Warframe without trouble.

Edit: Something I noticed. RainLender iCalender. At midnight and bootup it has a popup with the date and anything I have down in it. When the video came back on that popup was briefly visible under the mouse pointer.

Last edited:

AreeSoothsayer

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Well I found the problem about 3 weeks ago and I think. hope, I have it fixed. I was also dealing with windows crashes. It would freeze entirely. Well 3 weeks ago it didn't freeze, it bluescreened. I checked the data dump and was getting an ntsf.sys error.
There were 2 easy fixes in the ones offered. Turn off the google updates, it was on delayed startup, and unplug a camera if it's installed.

I did both and it's been smooth running ever since. fingers crossed Hope it doesn't come bite me in the ass now that I've shared.

AreeSoothsayer

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Yea, digging up this old post. The video problem is still occuring but no Bsod so that was fixed but not my Video. Occasionally the crash will leave the mouse pointer on a black screen.

sigh

I did notice that this time on steam a video was loading the moment of the crash so I updated it. Won't know for a while if that was it though.

Last edited: