Strange voltage readings

probablyajoke

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
I have my 8700k's voltage fixed at 1.29v in the BIOS with a multiplier of 47. When there's no load CPU-Z says the core voltage is 1.264v and Core Temp says the VID is 1.3998v. When under load (prime95) CPU-Z says the core voltage is 1.232v and Core Temp says the VID is 1.5144v.

Why do these programs say my voltage is way different from what I set it to in the BIOS? And is the high reading from Core Temp anything to be concerned about?

Solution
With regards to the core voltage being lower than what you set, that is due to vdroop, natural drop in voltage when the CPU asks fro voltage from idle. More correct version - Normally (if load-line calibration is disabled) you'll notice a significant drop in CPU voltage when the processor goes from an idle state to a load state. This voltage drop can be corrected by changing the LLC setting from normal, high, Turbo and Extreme (The Gigabyte version). I have my LLC set to Turbo to keep my 4.9GHz vcore droop very flat, hardly any drop.

The VID question I also have found confusing but this is what another forum member says: Max VID is the highest voltage allowed without overclocking. If your chip would ever have more than that pushed...
With regards to the core voltage being lower than what you set, that is due to vdroop, natural drop in voltage when the CPU asks fro voltage from idle. More correct version - Normally (if load-line calibration is disabled) you'll notice a significant drop in CPU voltage when the processor goes from an idle state to a load state. This voltage drop can be corrected by changing the LLC setting from normal, high, Turbo and Extreme (The Gigabyte version). I have my LLC set to Turbo to keep my 4.9GHz vcore droop very flat, hardly any drop.

The VID question I also have found confusing but this is what another forum member says: Max VID is the highest voltage allowed without overclocking. If your chip would ever have more than that pushed through it on default BIOS settings and no software overclock, the BIOS would stop the boot and report a CPU error. You should not be concerned...

The reason you're able to go above the max VID is because you've applied overclock settings. Max VID doesn't apply when overclocking.

Others hopefully will comment as I am no expert on Overclocking but do dabble to get the most out of my CPU's..

Solution

probablyajoke

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
Sorry for the late response (I couldn't find my login info). Core temp says "VID", not "Max VID". I'm just wondering if having the high VID reading is something I should be concerned about. I definitely do not want my chip running @ 1.4v 24/7.

I will look into the LLC settings to try to fix the droop and maybe get a higher OC. But I do have one question about it, if the voltage droops down to a safe level is it still bad for the CPU since it's raising the input voltage to compensate?

TRENDING THREADS