Strange whine sound during Civilization 5

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Good afternoon,

So I built this PC back in July, it was my first build, and courtesy to the phenomenal help I received here, it went beautifully. The computer has ran flawlessly since I built it.

Today, however, I turned the computer on and started up Civilization 5. When I got to the menu, a strange high pitched whine began coming from the PC. The sound itself isn't tremendously loud, in order to hear it properly, I have to turn the speakers off but I can hear it slightly when I have the speakers on at normal level... Which for me is pretty low unless I'm using a headset.
Anyways, so yesterday I played Civ 5 and had no strange sound, or at least not that I noticed. I opened up the PC and took a listen/peek inside and could not pinpoint the source of the sound. Initially I thought it was the back case fan, and still wonder if this is the case... The other culprits may be the PSU (god forbid), the GPU, or the CPU. I bought high end parts to avoid hardware issues, but of course, anything is possible.

Motherboard is an ASUS z-97A
Cooler Master haf 912 (case)
GPU EVGA GTX 760 2gb
i5 4460
PSU EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Crucial Balistix 8GB 1600mhz single stick RAM

Before I bought the parts, I made sure people agreed that they were high quality. I know anything can happen but I'm just wondering what might cause this mildly irritating sound. It started all of a sudden, and although it's quiet and I can bare it, I'm more worried about hardware issues or future hardware issues.

I should mention that I loaded up Sunless Sea and Fallen Enchantress, neither of the games had the whining issue, FC3 had it briefly then it disappeared. It doesn't occur anytime other than the menu of Civ 5 or in game Civ 5. It increases if I zoom in and decreases if I zoom out. When I talk to Japan and Genghis Khan, it becomes a bit louder, but when I speak with Sejong of Korea, it gets the loudest it's ever gotten... I have no idea what is going on. I am a bit worried, and was hoping I might get some input.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Hello... If you have determined it is the GPU first... and Not a FAN with a squeeky bearing, then Do not worry about it... I have a the same card in one of my builds... it is normal.
Yes, foam is typically used to make quiet PC's, quiet rooms/studios, quiet everything... it Stops the sound from bouncing around ( amplifing it self ) and absorbs high Freq very well. Yes... minute and negligible temperature increase.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So, would I be wise/safe to ignore it and keep on gaming?

I just tested another thing out. I played using Direct x9 with everything maxed out, wondering if it was maybe too much load on the components (which would suck since it was intended to be a mid-high end pc and Civ 5 is oldish). There was no whine to be had... It seems like it occurs only on Directx 10/11 option. Thank you for the feedback.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I read that in another article... I should give it a shot, however, I did just listen to it from the back where the VGA cable goes in... It's almost definitely the GPU. The sound is too high to be the PSU and too low to be the back case fan.

If it is the GPU, what should I do?

Of all the components to go, I feel like the GPU is the one that would suck the least.

Hello... it is inherent in the use of "Switching Power Supply designs" and the control of large amounts of current... Also with the case/card fans turning in your case, can cause a sound freq's to be more annoying... You could try and custom fit some foam into your case to absorb the sounds bouncing around inside your case, it is a simple method I use for a quiet PC.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Hey. So, what you're saying is that it's normal, or at least not bad, and it depends on the product you get? Essentially some peoples' components will make noise and others' components won't?

Personally I don't actually mind the sound. It's my fear of defective parts or parts dying. I'm partially afraid that the warranty won't cover it (personal worrying issues) and that I won't be able to figure out what went wrong (worrying about future events out of my control).

So if the noise doesn't bother me, would you suggest I ignore it or might it be better to RMA it? Is there a good chance it may result in a long term issue?
The foam idea is an interesting one... Can't say I would've thought of that on my own. Thank you. I would, however, think that the foam would act as an insulator and increase the core temps. Am I wrong in thinking this or would the increase in temps be minute and negligible?

Hello... If you have determined it is the GPU first... and Not a FAN with a squeeky bearing, then Do not worry about it... I have a the same card in one of my builds... it is normal.
Yes, foam is typically used to make quiet PC's, quiet rooms/studios, quiet everything... it Stops the sound from bouncing around ( amplifing it self ) and absorbs high Freq very well. Yes... minute and negligible temperature increase.

Solution

mrhippo900

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2013
Some people choose to ignore by simply plugging in headphones. Some people do an RMA. I have a 970 which the 900 series are known to have coil whine problems. Never had coil whine since i bought it. Regardless you choose what you want, if you think its annoying get some headphones, if you don't want it in general RMA. Oh and this is somewhat of a normal thing.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Thank you. In my search to see if it was caused by other games, I fell in love with Planetside 2 amd played for like an hour or two and the PC worked beautifully.
I'll keep the foam in mind then, thank you for the suggestion and for the help.

Let's say that I do find that the issue is due to a squeeky bearing in a fan, what should I do then? Is it a big deal?

I have one last question. When playing Planetside 2, I opened the case to listen see if I could hear anything unusual and I heard a buzzing sound like paper in a fan (but more quiet). Is that normal?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's great! Thank you for the info! I'd much rather not RMA it, I'll deal with the sound and/or use a headset. I was thinking, since the prices seem so good for the 900 series, of maybe buying a 970 in a few months.. Possibly over the summer.

TRENDING THREADS