[SOLVED] Strange Whistling Noise

Feb 6, 2021
Alright, so I just built my first PC. Took me a while actually, but this week I finally got it up and running. I noticed that there’s a strange noise constantly going on that I can only compare to a boiling tea kettle. It sounds like it’s coming from my CPU, and it fluctuates when I do anything with my mouse. If it helps, the CPU temp goes up when the noise is absent (around 30-35C, sometimes even 40), and it goes down when the noise is happening. (Below 30C usually, but can go as low as 16-17C). Thanks for the help!

If it helps, I’ve listed my specs below:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320-S2H
APU: AMD A Series Black Edition A10-9700
RAM: Crucial DDR4-2666 UDIMM 8GB
SSD: Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 2280SS 500GB
PSU: Winston Group 480QV2
Case: Prudent Way PWI-UT570A

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like an annoying fan whine from the CPU cooler.... you could determine this for sure by unplugging the CPU fan header while the noise is present. If the noise stops, shut down and remove power entirely before reconnecting the fan, but, at least you know where the noise is coming from.

If the fan is controllable within the BIOS, maybe you can set a fixed RPM just below where the noise is noticeable, and test for temps under a moderate load.

Or, perhaps a different cooler/fan combo...
Sounds like an annoying fan whine from the CPU cooler.... you could determine this for sure by unplugging the CPU fan header while the noise is present. If the noise stops, shut down and remove power entirely before reconnecting the fan, but, at least you know where the noise is coming from.

If the fan is controllable within the BIOS, maybe you can set a fixed RPM just below where the noise is noticeable, and test for temps under a moderate load.

Or, perhaps a different cooler/fan combo...

Solution