[SOLVED] Strange window on pc startup.

killer0pro

Honorable
Aug 9, 2014
Hello, some time ago i thought i might get out my old, about 6 or 7 yo to hdd for 1yo system. But i got that strange window every time i start up pc (will attach pic of it) it start load, takes a minute or so, after that is just resets and does same thing, basically it's a non stop loop. So i tried plug hdd back in, i still get this 1 minute long loading every time i start pc, but this time its not loop and only does this once per boot. So my problem is why this still a thing even after i plugged hdd back? And it kinda kills the point of having windows on ssd for fast boot.

https://ibb.co/7SPsyJy

Solution
That's the network booting status screen. Your computer searched for an installed bootable device, but couldn't find any. Your motherboard's ethernet card supports network booting. So the computer figures since there's no bootable drive, you must want it to boot off the network. Your pic is of the network card searching your network for a boot image server. It's not finding it so it's failing after a certain time, at which point the computer reboots to try again.

You don't give enough info about your system for us to really help you fix this. You mention a HDD and a SSD, and putting the HDD back. I'm not really sure what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to boot off a 7 year old drive with a 7 year old OS on a new system...
That's the network booting status screen. Your computer searched for an installed bootable device, but couldn't find any. Your motherboard's ethernet card supports network booting. So the computer figures since there's no bootable drive, you must want it to boot off the network. Your pic is of the network card searching your network for a boot image server. It's not finding it so it's failing after a certain time, at which point the computer reboots to try again.

You don't give enough info about your system for us to really help you fix this. You mention a HDD and a SSD, and putting the HDD back. I'm not really sure what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to boot off a 7 year old drive with a 7 year old OS on a new system, that's not going to work. You need to install the drive in the new computer, format it, then install Windows on it.

If you've installed a fresh copy of Windows and are getting this problem, try putting in the drive you want to boot off of, then running a Windows repair (from DVD or USB install media) to make the drive bootable again. That should make the proper changes to the drive so the computer recognizes it as a bootable drive again.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-system-repair/

If you're trying to use this drive as a data drive and it's causing these problems, there could be several causes for that I don't wanna take the time to write up since it's not clear from your description that this is your problem.

Solution

killer0pro

Honorable
Aug 9, 2014
I have 1 ssd that has windows 10 installed on it, new 1tb hdd and i decided to put into this system my old 500gb hdd from old pc just for extra gb. Well i just wanted replace old hdd with new one, but pulling it off just causes this screen. Everything is 1 year old and works fine, just this hdd leftover also worked fine before i decided to pull it out.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
My guess is, when you plugged the old drive in, the computer tried to boot from it, failed, then for some reason tried to network boot. When that failed, it tried to boot from the old drive again. With the old drive unplugged, it's still trying to network boot first before it boots from your SSD.
The fix would be to go into BIOS/UEFI and change boot order so the SSD is first.