strange yahoo mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mama5405

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Hallo!
In the last 2 weeks I have received mail which appears to have been sent by people I know, one has been dead for 3 years.
These people's names are not in my contact list, the mail is sent by iphone, goes to spam folder, address is wierd yahoo, mail contains link which is thankfully greyed out.
The senders tell me they never contacted me.
Has my laptop been hacked? No virus is detected by Fsecure or Malwarebytes.
Thanks for your help.

Solution
You are in their contact lists and their accounts have been compromised and used to ship out e-mails. Oddly, these seem to come from a person unknown to you but your friends name and address appears in the body of the text. The mails emanate from Delhi and I can only assume these spammers have a long way to go to learn their craft.

It's helpful to your friends to let them know you had the mail, are not the least offended and haven't visited the link, then recommend they change their e-mail password.
You are in their contact lists and their accounts have been compromised and used to ship out e-mails. Oddly, these seem to come from a person unknown to you but your friends name and address appears in the body of the text. The mails emanate from Delhi and I can only assume these spammers have a long way to go to learn their craft.

It's helpful to your friends to let them know you had the mail, are not the least offended and haven't visited the link, then recommend they change their e-mail password.

Solution

mama5405

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks Saga Lout

sorry the address the spam comes from is not a weird yahoo like I stated in my OP , these are two examples:

NameSurname@beingeaten.com
NameSurname@kleinrogge.co.uk

Where NameSurname are the real names and surnames of my friends.

I think your advice is probably still correct and I will contact them to tell them to change their password.

Status
Not open for further replies.