Strategy for a barbarian.

Ok, so this newbie has gotten farther than ever. Done the mines,
Sokoban (BoH), and Medusa, got Cleaver from sacrificing, got early
genocide and got rid of R, ;, l, h. XP level 13, looking around for XP
to go on the quest... I have a large throne room blocked off with
boulders, might hit that if worst comes to worst. However, I've had no
luck with shops (only one outside of minetown, with no useful armor)
and my armor is looking less than great:
+2 GDSM (from a wish, in retrospect maybe SDSM would be better)
burnt +0 cloak of protection
+1 thoroughly rusted gauntlets of power
+0 boots of speed.
+0 helmet.

I don't have wand of polymorph so I can't polypile... but I do have 2
magic markers. Should I just write a bunch of enchant armor and stick
with what I have, and go on the quest that way? There's not going to
be any more shops generated...
I think I might have fruit juice and speed potions in a cache, so I
could make booze and -proof my armour while looking for quest portal
confusedly. I've got my naked AC down to 7 by playing protection,
about to go to minetown and attempt to buy two more points...

Anything I haven't thought of that you could advise me of? I'd like to
get closer to ascension this time and... not, y'know, die on the
Quest. Thanks a bunch.

the amadaun wrote:
> Ok, so this newbie has gotten farther than ever. Done the mines,
> Sokoban (BoH), and Medusa, got Cleaver from sacrificing, got early
> genocide and got rid of R, ;, l, h. XP level 13, looking around for
XP
> to go on the quest... I have a large throne room blocked off with
> boulders, might hit that if worst comes to worst. However, I've had
no
> luck with shops (only one outside of minetown, with no useful armor)
> and my armor is looking less than great:
> +2 GDSM (from a wish, in retrospect maybe SDSM would be better)
> burnt +0 cloak of protection
> +1 thoroughly rusted gauntlets of power
> +0 boots of speed.
> +0 helmet.

Your stuff, other than the condition and lack of enchantments, I think
is decent. Cloak of protection could use an upgrade though.

> I don't have wand of polymorph so I can't polypile... but I do have 2
> magic markers. Should I just write a bunch of enchant armor and stick
> with what I have, and go on the quest that way? There's not going to
> be any more shops generated...

I'd stick with what you have. Enchant/proof the speed boots at least.
You could also enchant the Gauntlets of Power. I don't think you are
gonna see huge improvement. If you really want to, you can write/find
a scroll of genocide, curse it, and reverse-geno Silver dragons to get
SDSM. But until you find another source of MR (or two) I'd stick with
GDSM.

> I think I might have fruit juice and speed potions in a cache, so I
> could make booze and -proof my armour while looking for quest portal
> confusedly. I've got my naked AC down to 7 by playing protection,
> about to go to minetown and attempt to buy two more points...
>
> Anything I haven't thought of that you could advise me of? I'd like
> get closer to ascension this time and... not, y'know, die on the
> Quest. Thanks a bunch.

Throne is a possible wish source, as well as smoky potions. If you
feel you are lacking in some key equipments, you might wanna try them
out...

-K

In article <1114019924.950210.186280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Kremti
wrote:
> the amadaun wrote:

>> +2 GDSM (from a wish, in retrospect maybe SDSM would be better)

> I'd stick with what you have. Enchant/proof the speed boots at least.
> You could also enchant the Gauntlets of Power. I don't think you are
> gonna see huge improvement. If you really want to, you can write/find
> a scroll of genocide, curse it, and reverse-geno Silver dragons to get
> SDSM. But until you find another source of MR (or two) I'd stick with
> GDSM.

I'd stick to the GDSM and would prefer "oReflection or shield of
reflection over SDSM. The quest artifact gives MR, but I wouldn't rely
solely on it. If sokoban yielded BoH and Perseus' statue don't have a
shield in it, a wish for a "oR or a shield wouldn't be a waste.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> wrote in message news:<slrnd6egcu.sk0.pnuu@vipunen.hut.fi>...

> I'd stick to the GDSM and would prefer "oReflection or shield of
> reflection over SDSM. The quest artifact gives MR, but I wouldn't rely
> solely on it. If sokoban yielded BoH and Perseus' statue don't have a
> shield in it, a wish for a "oR or a shield wouldn't be a waste.

I did get a shield from Perseus' statue, but I'm wielding a two-handed
weapon (and my skill slots have all been given to two-handed
weapons)... possibly wish for an "oR.