[SOLVED] Stream desktop to laptop directly with ethernet cable no router

inuyasha555

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Due to unrelated circumstances I may need to move my desktop into a room that does not have any extra room for a screen. I would like to ideally run an ethernet cable directly from my desktops ethernert port to my laptops ethernet port and stream the screen to my laptop while continuing to use my laptop keyboard.

Before anyone asks, no, I cannot use an ethernet cable or move my router to accomodate this. The router is connected to the only port in the house and it's on a different floor as far as possible from the room I'd need my computer in. Routing cable through the walls is not an option and routing it along the ground would create a tripping hazard on the stairs which is not acceptable.

Is this possible to do? I've been using Parsec but my wifi is spotty and results in significant network lag often that I can't handle.

Solution
since you can't connect the screen and keyboard to the pc, you'll have to remote into the pc and control it that way.

a cross--over cable would be the most direct way and then create a remote desktop session to start controlling the pc from the laptop.

with that said, i do not know how much input lag you'll be introducing if any nor if there might be any other udesired side effects from doing this. from the same room with a short cross-over cable, it should be minimal if it is there but that's just a guess. i remote into stuff all the time but never tried gaming remotely.

but a wired connection rather than a wireless option would be the better choice by far. you may not be happy with the results, but won't know until you try it out.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish with this. my answer assumes you want to attempt to use the laptop to directly connect to the pc in order to share the internet connection with it. how close are these 2 devices going to be together? same room, next room, separate floors or what?

without that answer here is a basic answer until you give some more detail about what you wish to accomplish.

with a crossover cable you could connect the 2 systems. then remote desktop into the pc to control it with the laptop. that's not really a problem but it has to be a cross over cable to do it. not a regular ethernet cable.

doing this however, means the pc is still using the same internet connection it has now which is the wifi you have now for it. i don't think you can use internet sharing along with remote desktop from the laptop to give it better internet connection. but then i've never tried using both at the same time so it might work. this again assumes this is the goal for connecting the 2 devices together.

fill in the blanks about exactly what you want to accomplish and can tweak this answer to be more suited to your situation.

inuyasha555

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
very true, this is why i'm hoping for more detail. it sounds like that's the goal but then again i'm not totally sure.

That is the ultimate goal yes. To stream my desktops screen to my laptop to be able to game while using my laptop as a screen and "controller".

What about it exactly makes it challenging?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
now again why do you want to do this? just for the monitor? (you said you did not have one)

so you want to sit next to the desktop and use the laptop's screen for the pc? if so then why control it through the laptop if it's right next to it? again can you be more specific so we can help. we may know a better way to get done what you want, but we need to know what/why so we can provide ideas.

inuyasha555

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
now again why do you want to do this? just for the monitor? (you said you did not have one)

so you want to sit next to the desktop and use the laptop's screen for the pc? if so then why control it through the laptop if it's right next to it? again can you be more specific so we can help. we may know a better way to get done what you want, but we need to know what/why so we can provide ideas.

I'd be using the laptop for the screen and keyboard yes. The desktop and laptop are in the same room but there is no space to put up a dedicated screen nor keyboard so I'd have to use the laptop to control it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
since you can't connect the screen and keyboard to the pc, you'll have to remote into the pc and control it that way.

a cross--over cable would be the most direct way and then create a remote desktop session to start controlling the pc from the laptop.

with that said, i do not know how much input lag you'll be introducing if any nor if there might be any other udesired side effects from doing this. from the same room with a short cross-over cable, it should be minimal if it is there but that's just a guess. i remote into stuff all the time but never tried gaming remotely.

but a wired connection rather than a wireless option would be the better choice by far. you may not be happy with the results, but won't know until you try it out.

Solution

inuyasha555

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

So it is possible that's good.

I've been using Parsec which allows you to remotely control a PC with extremely low delay and basically no input lag over wifi and when it works it's amazing but my wifi is subpar and it lags a lot at times when the connection is bad. It doesn't seem to support direct connection though.

I'll have to get a crossover cable and see how it goes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
teamviewer is another good option for remote cnnection. they basically set-up the remote desktop session for you.

if the software does not work directly connected, then you'll just have to google how to set-up a remote session. it's not hard really. few steps to set-up passwords and such.

as a security issue however, turn off remote dekstop service when not in use. it's a huge security hole for your system!!

So it is possible that's good.

I've been using Parsec which allows you to remotely control a PC with extremely low delay and basically no input lag over wifi and when it works it's amazing but my wifi is subpar and it lags a lot at times when the connection is bad. It doesn't seem to support direct connection though.

I'll have to get a crossover cable and see how it goes.
Parsec shouldn't have any issues with a direct connection as it should use that connection like any other network. Should work extremely well too from what I've read about the product. :)