[SOLVED] Stream video straight to HDMI port

Jan 2, 2020
Hi Everyone

First time poster, long time reader.

I am living in a situation where i do not have access to a smart tv.

I have a Tuff gaming laptop, with 2 video cards, the vega10 and the rtx 2060 video card, it also has a hdmi out port.

What i would LOVE to do is to be able to stream / play some movies / videos straight to the hdmi port which is connected to the non smart tv, while i am playing games and doing facebook and emails on the laptop display.

I have searched and I cannot find anyway that this is possible, i would like to know IS there a way, and if not, WHY NOT ?

Any help appreciated, would be willing to pay for software to do this.

EDIT: i do NOT want to split displays, i just want to be able to send video/audio down the hdmi port so there is no issues while gaming. (mouse moving over too far to one side and i getting fragged when i lose control)

Cheers guys

Solution
You cannot do that the way you want. The only way to enable second video monitor (TV) is to "extend" your display, meaning that you will have to "position" the display so that it does not be accessed by accident. If you don't want this - Chromecast, or $50 "TV Box" is the solution.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Stream? As in, wirelessly?

A Chromecast could do that... albeit, your content (movies, videos etc) would need to be within Chrome to do so, I believe.

If you're not looking at wireless, you can connect the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable, and use it as a secondary display...

Jan 2, 2020
nah i do not mean wireless.

I do not have a chrome cast or anything like that, i want to be able to connect the hdmi port on my laptop to the tv, then select a video to play and then have it play the video to the tv connected to the hdmi port while leaving my laptop display free.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, then you're literally looking at connecting an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV - it should auto detect as a secondary display, although you may have to slightly tweak things in Windows display settings.

EDIT: i do NOT want to split displays, i just want to be able to send video/audio down the hdmi port so there is no issues while gaming. (mouse moving over too far to one side and i getting fragged when i lose control)

This is where you'll have a problem though - what you're describing is running dual displays, extending across both. I'm not aware of any way to stop at the border of the laptop display.... at least, not natively within Windows.

Jan 2, 2020
i dont want to extend the display, i just want to have it so i can open a program, tell it to play a video with sound to that hdmi port and thats it.

You cannot do that the way you want. The only way to enable second video monitor (TV) is to "extend" your display, meaning that you will have to "position" the display so that it does not be accessed by accident. If you don't want this - Chromecast, or $50 "TV Box" is the solution.

Solution