Stream Your Xbox One Games To Your Oculus Rift In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, it's basically like having a TV strapped to your face (except that you can look away from the virtual screen)? Will the content even be rendered in stereo 3D?

Latency should be worse than playing it directly on a TV.

I'd probably watch 3D blu-ray movies like this, however. But, I'd prefer a black environment over anything like the one pictured.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
so the xone renders it, then sends the signal to your network which redirects it to your PC which then in turn sends it to your oculus.

gee, i'm so excited for the latency induced vomiting this will bring

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nah, it won't induce vomit. The reason being that the head movement & environment around the virtual screen will be rendered directly on your PC.

Where you'll see the latency is between your controller and the movement that appears on the virtual screen. So, it'll be like playing the game on a laggy TV or PC.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
oh yes the never ending struggles at Microsoft "how to get gamers and console owners that abandoned windows os to come back"
failed solution #1: no exculsive anymore, buy xbox one version get the window store version free
failed solution #2: apps on windows that lets you stream xbox one to your VR headset
failed solution #3: force you to use windows to properly manage your xbox one account
failed solution #4: small incremental upgrades to hardware in the hopes that you'll accept just a regular pc with xbox one app running in full screen and calling it 'console'

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
yeah... i hope there is a black out 'environment' to use. i was so glad when netflix went to the dark theme. no more 'netflix and... blinded by the light.'

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Actually, PC gaming is in an upswing.... although I do concede the push to get people to jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 does have some gamers perturbed.

The less actual exclusives the better. Technically there are still many console exclusives since if you want to on a console you have no other options for many titles. Also there has been a marked improvement in the quality of releases on the PC side compared to early UWP console ports.

MS did not have any until now that I know of. Previously you had to view the desktop in VR and use the XBox App in windows to stream which was not ideal.

Not sure what you mean here exactly since you can manage the account within the consoles and a web browser in any OS. Also it could be managed via mobile apps or web browsers on your phone.

Although occasionally I will play an XBOne title on my tablet if I am watching TV or something I don't think MS or anybody is calling my tablet a console since all the heavy lifting is being done by the actual console. The Xbox app does not actually play anything, it just brings the friends/social aspect a bit to the PC while letting you purchase titles and stream from your console.

Nobody is calling any of these things MS is doing especially revolutionary by by any means but they are hardly failures. I admit that do not bother playing non VR titles (PC or Console) via the usual big virtual screen solution with my Vive but that does not mean I do not appreciate having the option to do so. Unfortunately the resolution of VR is such that playing on a virtual screen within the Vive or RIft is a poor experience compared to a good TV or monitor.

So stupid... now you move your head and see the same image no matter where you look.

I suppose it's kind of neat at first especially if you're used to a TV that's small in your field of view, but I sit close to a gaming monitor so I'm not strapping a HUD just to see basically the same thing.

Also, is this resolution going to be okay so CLOSE to your face?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you missed the part about the environments.

It's as if you're playing on a big screen TV that's inside the virtual world. So, you can turn your head away from the screen, if you want.

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
This is lame, even for the Vive. Why would anyone want a worse picture for their current games? I'd rather have 4K in a heartbeat then putting it on VM with lower dot pitch due to your face being so close. Just keep VR games on VR and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.