Streaming / CPU Problem

reevoslair

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Whenever i stream on my desktop it is fine on my stream and it is clean. Whenever I am in a game it is quite stuttery sometimes but when i check my stream it is very bad fps like 1 frame per 10 seconds and I dont know how to fix it as i have been trying to stream all my life and now that I got nbn i am excited to stream. I have done a speed test on speedtest.net and i got 8 ms, 20 mbit/s down and 13 mbit/s up. Which is enough to stream at good rates.

My Theory is that I dont have a good enough cpu because when i check task manager and i am streaming it shows 100% cpu is being used which might be why my stream runs badly.

I have an i5 7600k which has been overclocked to 4.4ghz with 1.2 volts.

I dont know if I need a new cpu to stream high quality and if that is true what do u recommend.
Motherboard= MSI Z270M Mortar

Solution
7600 or any other 4 cores/threads CPU is barely enough in 2018.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3
There is a substantial difference between i5 and i7 and not only in AVG FPS.
some games (not benchmarks) have stuttering/freezes and even control lags on some maps/scenes with i5.
On the intel side, 4 cores/threads CPUs (older i5 and the new i3) are the entry level gaming CPUs. They do decent enough job, but they are not good in 2018.
7600 or any other 4 cores/threads CPU is barely enough in 2018.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3
There is a substantial difference between i5 and i7 and not only in AVG FPS.
some games (not benchmarks) have stuttering/freezes and even control lags on some maps/scenes with i5.
On the intel side, 4 cores/threads CPUs (older i5 and the new i3) are the entry level gaming CPUs. They do decent enough job, but they are not good in 2018.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

What are your thoughts on the Ryzens, like the 1600, even though the cores are weaker than some of the I3/I5s?

reevoslair

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

do u reckon a top of the line i7 would do the job if so what would u reccomend?

it all depends on what you do.
For gaming and streaming using GPU (like shadowplay or OBS with HW encoding) a drop in replacement like i7-6700K or i7-7700K will do the job for couple of years.
If you are after envoding/transforming stream using CPU, the more the merrier - but we are talking about over 1000$ CPUs with new MB.
A lot of people that use the second approach, are actually have a separate computer dedicated to capture, encode and send it to streaming service.
For me shadowplay is good enough to stream to youtube.