Streaming Device Build

naurto75

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
hey guys i am looking for a device that i can store all of my movies and music, etc on and stream it to my android phone. What is one of these devices called and what are some of the best products for my money in this category.

Solution

Buy one of the listed NAS / Cloud units from the following link - Note, they are around $100+ and aren't as customizable as a regular Computer running FreeNAS -...

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Those devices are called NAS or Network Attached Storage - basically mini-PCs with a ton of hard drive space connected to the network.
The best product when it comes to NAS is to basically re-use an old computer and install FreeNAS on it, as its cheaper.

naurto75

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

What if i dont have an old computer what is my best option?

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Buy one of the listed NAS / Cloud units from the following link - Note, they are around $100+ and aren't as customizable as a regular Computer running FreeNAS -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Depa=0&Description=PPSSHOMENAS&cm_sp=NAS241-_-VisNav-_-HDD
Or you can buy a cheap old Computer and install FreeNAS on it, which would give you more customization.

Solution