Streaming / Gaming Build Advice

Apr 30, 2018
So I am finally going to be building my own system. I plan on using it to run my Plex server and associated software, potentially run a few VMs (not 24/7) that I would like to be able to remote into from other machines (would most likely always be on the same network), and potentially some gaming a bit down the road, although I was not planning on getting a GPU immediately.

Here is what I already have:

Enclosure: NZXT S340 Elite mid tower case
Storage: 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2.5" SATA III 512GB SSD (boot, RAID 0)
Storage: 3x HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 6TB (in RAID 5)

Here are the rest of the components I have been thinking about, yet to buy:

CPU: Intel i5-8600K or i7-8700K
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
RAM: 2x8GB initially (make/model TBD)
GPU: none initially, will want the ability to add a powerful card later on though

So I am pretty set on one of the above CPUs. So beyond that, I think I have a few questions I am trying to answer:

1. What kind of power supply would I need for the above? I am having trouble figuring out how I can determine the proper wattage needed.

2. I want WiFi, so I was looking at a board that had WiFi integrated to save space, though I suppose I could get a separate card for that. Is there any advantage to doing so? Other than a wider selection of boards to choose from?

3. The cages/mounts for the 3.5" drives in my chassis do not have any kind of vibration dampening or anything like that. My understanding is that these HGST NAS drives have what is supposed to be a rotational vibration safeguard which is designed to help with this, but is there anything else I can do to add vibration dampening to the cages themselves?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

For work station and productivity :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $888.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-01 07:15 EDT-0400

More cores and more threads, comes with a stock cooler.
Mobo with built in wifi and ram add to the bling factor along with top of the line performance.
One of the best case with inbuilt sound dampening and extensive storage support.

If ur wifi signal is a bit far away, or if u r crazy abt ur network performance, get a dedicated wifi card, preferably an Intel one. Change the mobo to asrock X470 Master SLI.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS