Question Streaming in 165hz 1440p

PhantomKingPin

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2016
I have an Asus PG278QR monitor and steaming/gaming all on the same PC, some games stream perfectly fine whereas others look laggy/choppy and I see the same on my OBS. I am not dropping any frames at all but some games it works fine if I turn V-Sync on but with games like Apex or Rainbow Six Siege, they are choppy/laggy and I'm at a loss. What changes do I need to prevent this?

For games that can use the whole CPU vsync at 165Hz is like not having vsync at all, they are going to use the whole CPU for the game which will slow everything down.
You will have to either put in a frame limiter to slow down your game or increase the priority for the encoding (obs has that setting) both options are going to result in lower FPS in game.

PhantomKingPin

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2016
For games that can use the whole CPU vsync at 165Hz is like not having vsync at all, they are going to use the whole CPU for the game which will slow everything down.
You will have to either put in a frame limiter to slow down your game or increase the priority for the encoding (obs has that setting) both options are going to result in lower FPS in game.
What OBS setting for the encoder would you say is the one I'm looking for? I put it on the Nvida one but it still coppy

PhantomKingPin

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2016
Use task manager, find nvenc.exe (NVidiaENCoder) and set that to the highest priority.
You will have to do this every time unless you use a third party software like process hacker that allows you to save this change.
I have taken a look however, there is no process or details in there for me:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/uZIm9Oa" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/uZIm9Oa"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

View: https://imgur.com/a/uZIm9Oa

Is this something that needs to be downloaded as extra or?