Streaming issues on fast good internet?

rifat10467

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hey folks,

I'm running a wireless setup and i'm paying for 200mb and i get 60-80 on my computer via wireless - but i can't stream anything for shit. I mean, i can't even stream 720p sometimes on youtube while playing a game on a side monitor.

What could be the issue?

Solution
It has nothing to do with the speed really it has to do with the packet loss and retransmisson. The speed test program is less affected by traffic loss and delay.

If it work on ethernet then it shows it has to be the wifi. Some games put a huge load on the video or cpu so it can limit what you do on the machine at the same time. Since it works on ethernet then it is not that.

I am surprised your game is not massively affected by running youtube on wifi. Many people have issue just running the game on wifi.

In any case there is not much you can do. There are no setting or anything you can change. Wifi is not recommended for games at all, youtube and other video streaming work for some people but it greatly depends what...
The issue is you are using wireless for a application that is sensitive to data loss and delay.

Generally games are more affected than something like youtube because it artificially delays so you don't see the buffers. Running a game over wifi actually causes a lot of congestion even if it does not use a lot of bandwidth. It is constantly receive and more important transmitting data all the time. Wifi is half duplex so you when you transmit from both ends you always run the risk of overlap and data loss.

It could be your pc or your internet but it is much more likely it is the wifi. You should test to see if you see the same problem on a ethernet cable.

rifat10467

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

I get the full speed i paid for on ethernet.
I run a pretty solid pc i built a year ago for like 2 grand.
I've read that you don't need more than 50mb to stream 4k but when i'm playing an mmorpg and watching youtube i can't even watch at 720p

It has nothing to do with the speed really it has to do with the packet loss and retransmisson. The speed test program is less affected by traffic loss and delay.

If it work on ethernet then it shows it has to be the wifi. Some games put a huge load on the video or cpu so it can limit what you do on the machine at the same time. Since it works on ethernet then it is not that.

I am surprised your game is not massively affected by running youtube on wifi. Many people have issue just running the game on wifi.

In any case there is not much you can do. There are no setting or anything you can change. Wifi is not recommended for games at all, youtube and other video streaming work for some people but it greatly depends what other traffic is running.

Solution